Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   18" wheel option on 2017 Accord EX-L 4DR (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/18-wheel-option-2017-accord-ex-l-4dr-65217/)

tim0476 11-23-2017 07:35 AM

18" wheel option on 2017 Accord EX-L 4DR

I just purchased a 2017 Accord EXL 4 CYL 4DR last week. I do not like the Goodyear Assurance tires and I simply don't like the stock 17" wheels.

I have already purchased the 18" Honda Diamond Cut Rims and a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires (235/45/18), but have not had them installed. After the purchase (backwards I know), I starting reading on the internet about what a larger wheel and tire with a lower aspect ratio (45 vs 55) will do to the ride comfort. I will say my desire for this change has more to do with appearance and getting rid of the ugly stock rims. Upsizing the wheels will get me out of those Goodyears too.

So, here are my questions/comments for people to reply to please:

1. I am not a huge car enthusiast. Are we talking about a significant, noticeable difference in the ride quality/comfort, or do you have to be pay close attention to tell? Will the better Pirelli tires compensate for this some?
2. I have read (in general) that upsizing the rims and tires can cause damage to the car's suspension, cause the braking to be off, poor acceleration , and the speedo will be off. (All that sounds bad).
3. My thought is that Honda offers this as an option and I am using the Honda 18" wheels and the recommended tire size. Why would they do that if it could potentially damage the suspension or make the car driving experience terrible.
4. This is just going up 1" in the wheel size and from 55 to 45 in the aspect ratio, to what is considered to be a low profile tire.

In short, I understand I should get better handling and sacrifice some comfort. But I don't want to make this decision and completely trash the way the car drives either. Interestingly, I cannot find much on the internet about people who have done this.

shipo 11-23-2017 09:35 AM

Your car will be just fine; the change will negatively impact ride and handling to only a very minor degree, 235/45 tires (in any wheel size) are still quite comfortable, offer reasonable rim protection from damage, and give reasonable handling. As for suspension damage, nothing to worry about here, the car is designed to work with wheels and tires of this size.

tim0476 11-25-2017 08:42 AM

18" wheel option on Accord EX-L 4DR

Thank you for the reply. I have one additional related question. I just noticed that Honda is recommending the V speed rating on the 235/45/18 tires for the 18" wheels. I purchased the H rated tires (Pirelli Cinturato P7). Is this an issue? What difference would I feel if any in the tires and will they perform the same? I know the speed limits on H (130) and V (149) don't seem like they should be a consideration. But does it come down to just that. I am not well educated on tires/wheels obviously, but needed to ask the question.

shipo 11-25-2017 10:25 AM

Here's the thing; in some parts of the U.S. there are laws on the books which require the tires on a car to be rated at a higher speed than the car is capable of or governed to. Personally I wouldn't have an issue with H rated tires as I am beyond unlikely to ever drive faster than 130 mph anywhere here in the States.

jetsfixer 01-30-2018 05:26 PM

I just purchased a new 2017 Accord Coupe EX-L with the 18 inch wheels and the Goodyear tires as standard equipment. They ride well and hold the road and turns just fine. Quiet also I might add.

tim0476 05-17-2018 08:44 AM

upgrade from 17 in to 18 in rims on 2017 EXL accord

Hi, while upgrading the 2017 EXL Accord from 17 in rims to the 18 in rims, the dealer charged me $150 to calibrate the ABS system. Out of curiosity, I called a couple of other dealers and they both told me that the only thing involved is wheel mount and balance and then recalibrating the TPMS system. Nothing needs to be done with the ABS? Can someone confirm this for me?

shipo 05-17-2018 09:13 AM

Never heard of recalibrating the ABS system; sounds like B.S. to me.