New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Not an Accord owner - may become one again

Old 08-15-2018, 08:09 PM
Default Not an Accord owner - may become one again

I have a company can and my own truck - I use the truck as a truck often but would prefer not to drive it everywhere. I'm looking for an older, reliable, preferably manual transmission car or SUV. The Honda Accord and CRVs fit the bill. I just saw a '98 Accord listed, no price yet. 185k miles, with a manual transmission. I know this 2.3L engine has a timing belt. How is the engine's reputation in general? Being Honda I'd expect better than average. I realize with a 20 year old vehicle there are other concerns - just age alone for metal and rubber components. Also considering a '98 CRV. I know those 2.0L engines require periodic valve adjustments, don't know if that's also the case with the 2.3L. I first thought I may be crazy to consider purchasing a 20 year old car - there's other concerns such as just age. Metal and rubber component deterioration. But - in other forums I've read of a few 1998 or 20 purchases, so maybe it's not out of the question.Maybe it would be better to find a 2003 + with the 2.4L and timing chain? I'd only put on maybe a couple thousand miles per year, so maybe not.

I also owned a 1984 Accord hatchback - manual steering. And an '86 Accord that my ex won, yes won - from a TV station. It was a DX without a radio, I'd prefer an aftermarket one those years anyway, but it did have AC. Both were 5 speed manuals, excellent fuel economy and I don't recall any significant trouble with them.

Last edited by Stevek66; 08-19-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:51 PM

Today put a down payment on a 1999 EX 5MT.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations & welcome!
(I'm also a fan of having 3 pedals)

Old 09-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations! I'm another fan of having three pedals under the dash. If I needed a basic Daily Driver I wouldn't hesitate buying a Gen 6 (1998-2002) 5MT Accord. If the car has spent much of its life up here in the salt zone, I would have the brake lines inspected for signs of corrosion. I had all of the brake lines on my 2001 Accord swapped at about 160,000 New England miles after one of the lines failed.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:35 PM

Thanks - picked up a 1999 Accord this evening that I test drove Saturday. It's almost like it's too good to be true - I never thought a 19-20 year old vehicle could run so well. The 5 speed manual is a breeze to operate. To me, the car is quiet. I've owned many Subarus over the years, kind of liked the flat-4 sound i suppose, but it's almost like this car is luxurious in comparison. I was considering a 1998 CR-V, great vehicle in it's own right - but I took it up to about 62 mph on a test drive (5 speed manual) and the engine was already around 3200 rpm. Needless to say - it wouldn't be the best vehicle for prolonged highway cruising. This Accord seems so relaxed, at 65 mph could barely hear the engine at 2500 rpm. I know brake lines are a concern - a mechanic with a '98 said they're within plastic to shield them from the elements Ironically, that traps moisture which of course leads to rust. I certainly expect my share of maintenance - but 1692xx miles doesn't seem notorious for these.

A concern is the timing belt - no record of it on the dealer provided Carfax report. At least he was honest enough to admit that. I may take it to a mechanic my son has done business with and pay him to inspect the belt. Maybe just change it if there's any sign of wear.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stevek66
Thanks - picked up a 1999 Accord this evening that I test drove Saturday. It's almost like it's too good to be true - I never thought a 19-20 year old vehicle could run so well. The 5 speed manual is a breeze to operate. To me, the car is quiet. I've owned many Subarus over the years, kind of liked the flat-4 sound i suppose, but it's almost like this car is luxurious in comparison. I was considering a 1998 CR-V, great vehicle in it's own right - but I took it up to about 62 mph on a test drive (5 speed manual) and the engine was already around 3200 rpm. Needless to say - it wouldn't be the best vehicle for prolonged highway cruising. This Accord seems so relaxed, at 65 mph could barely hear the engine at 2500 rpm. I know brake lines are a concern - a mechanic with a '98 said they're within plastic to shield them from the elements Ironically, that traps moisture which of course leads to rust. I certainly expect my share of maintenance - but 1692xx miles doesn't seem notorious for these.

A concern is the timing belt - no record of it on the dealer provided Carfax report. At least he was honest enough to admit that. I may take it to a mechanic my son has done business with and pay him to inspect the belt. Maybe just change it if there's any sign of wear.
I was in the same boat when I bought my 2001, it was 11 years old with 114,000 miles on it and no record of a timing belt change. I gambled and took it to the 14 year mark and had it done along with the water pump and cam seals.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:47 PM

I have a 2000 Accord that I purchased new. Currently have 252K miles on it and it runs like a champ. Replaced the clutch at 209K and the front struts at 245K. Timing belts every 100k, brakes every 100k, plugs/wires/cap every 100k. Oil changes 5k I also do change the oil in the manual gb every 60K. Use Honda MTF. You came to the right place to keep your "oldie but goodie" on the road.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:49 PM

Holy smokes that's high mileage! That wasn't the original clutch to 209K was it? 100K intervals for other things is very reasonable to say the least. It's amazing how many of that gen Accord (1998-2002) I still see on the road. Good to know you and others around here have experience keeping these older Hondas going.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:05 AM

That was the original clutch. Some of the people on here have many more miles out of the original clutch, not to mention the car itself. Check out the mileage post on here. I honestly believe that this car will outlast some of the newer Accords with the 1.5L turbos, especially since some of them are having problems with fuel getting into the oil. Happy Motoring!

Old 09-06-2018, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jet sitter
That was the original clutch. Some of the people on here have many more miles out of the original clutch, not to mention the car itself. Check out the mileage post on here. I honestly believe that this car will outlast some of the newer Accords with the 1.5L turbos, especially since some of them are having problems with fuel getting into the oil. Happy Motoring!
Could well be. I am planning on getting over 300,000 miles out of my 2006 TL, I rather doubt a new Accord would ever get there without major engine work.

Regarding the oil dilution issue. I think the benefits of direct injection outweigh the drawbacks, however, there are some issues which still need to be dealt with, oil dilution and intake valve fouling to name just two.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not an Accord owner - may become one again