Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   2006 Honda Accord EX HID lights? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/2006-honda-accord-ex-hid-lights-64856/)

harlequin4689 08-01-2017 01:34 PM

2006 Honda Accord EX HID lights?

Hey y'all -

new here so I don't even know if I'm putting this in the right spot. considering I'm new, I'd venture to guess I am.

anywho -

I was gifted an HID headlight kit for Christmas. Put them in, they work great. I love them. Buttttt, now I'm blinding people because the housings I have are still the original, not meant for HID headlights. I've tried googling the correct housings that I need, but I just don't know enough about what I'm looking for to be able to know where to start.

Once I've got the part, I'm pretty savvy in installing it, but ensuring I purchase exactly what I'm looking for has me stumped.

Help please?

Thank you!

JimBlake 08-01-2017 05:07 PM

Properly aiming your existing lamp housings isn't working?

harlequin4689 08-01-2017 08:09 PM

They've been aimed properly, but since they were made for LED lights, I've been told that they reflect the light differently than if they were made for HID lights. Maybe this isn't valid information though? I don't know. Like I said, very out of my depth here. Haha

JimBlake 08-02-2017 01:12 PM

No, the idea of the reflector being the wrong shape does make sense. So I can't really help you because I never had HID lights...
(They weren't made for LED, they were made for halogen incandescent)

shipo 08-02-2017 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by harlequin4689 (Post 376287)
They've been aimed properly, but since they were made for LED lights, I've been told that they reflect the light differently than if they were made for HID lights. Maybe this isn't valid information though? I don't know. Like I said, very out of my depth here. Haha

JimBlake is correct, your 2006 Accord EX came from the factory with halogen lamps and what you're trying to do is replace the halogen bulbs with LED bulbs; unfortunately LED replacement bulbs do not throw light in a pattern similar to halogens, so unless you can find a complete replacement housing made specifically for LEDs, you should probably put the original bulbs back in the housings.

If you opt to keep the LEDs in, you run the risk of several bad things happening:
  • You get ticketed for non-compliant headlights
  • You blind an oncoming driver which results in an accident. If the driver claims your non-compliant headlights blinded him or her, fault will be assigned to you, typically via a citation.
  • An on coming driver "flashes" you and you are momentarily blinded and cause an accident; once again, you will most likely be cited for the headlights and found at fault.
FWIW, I have always been led to believe the term "HID headlights" to mean Xenon gas discharge headlights; I do not believe either LEDs or Halogen bulbs qualify to be called HIDs.