New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2017 Accor Hybrid POor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Battsinsure
At 62MPG on a long haul I have gotten 54MPG. But have gotten 40 doing 75mph. Using regular gas. Ive heard people get in closer to 60 if you really milk the gas pedal.
People who drive to get 60 mpg should be banned from the roads except say between midnight and four in the morning; at other times they are a hazard to the rest of the traffic.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:32 PM

I bought a 2018 Accord Hybrid in June and have put 9000 miles on it by mid November. I most of the miles have been highway miles driving from Cincincinnati to Oshkosh Wisconsin on the interstate driving 70 - 72 mph. In inially got 47 mpg on most trips with a few at 50 mpg. However once September came and it was still warm, my mileage dropped to the low 40s and when cooler weather came in October and cold weather in November, my mileage has dropped to 38. This is my third hybrid - the others a hybrid Camry and a Lexus ES 300h. They too had reduced mileage but not to this degree. I am wondering if this is normal for this "locomotive" configuration or some thing is wrong with my car.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:42 AM

I'm also getting the same mileage as you are getting in my 2017 accord hybrid. I don't know why it is performing so poorly. I also want to know why I can only get 33 miles a gallon when I should be getting closer to 50.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DJ Howard
I'm also getting the same mileage as you are getting in my 2017 accord hybrid. I don't know why it is performing so poorly. I also want to know why I can only get 33 miles a gallon when I should be getting closer to 50.
When it comes to fuel economy, there is no such a thing as "should be getting...", it all depends upon the driving environment and the person behind the wheel.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
When it comes to fuel economy, there is no such a thing as "should be getting...", it all depends upon the driving environment and the person behind the wheel.
As if you don't know what I'm saying here. The Accord Hybrid is advertised as getting 49 MPG. I've gotten better than the rating in EVERY other car I have ever owned. I baby this car, attempting every trick to get better fuel economy. It's not the driver. It's the car.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

As if you don't know what I'm saying here. The Accord Hybrid is advertised as getting 49 MPG. I've gotten better than the rating in EVERY other car I have ever owned. I baby this car, attempting every trick to get better fuel economy. It's not the driver. It's the car.
Doesn't matter; my statement stands.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Doesn't matter; my statement stands.
It would be cool if instead of blaming the driver you would actually address the issue as to why this car's MPG sucks when it is advertised as 49 MPG. I can get 37-40 MPG in a NON-hybrid mid size sedan consistently.
We come to this group to find solutions, not get blamed for why our car isn't performing properly. Obviously other people are having issues with this car.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

It would be cool if instead of blaming the driver you would actually address the issue as to why this car's MPG sucks when it is advertised as 49 MPG. I can get 37-40 MPG in a NON-hybrid mid size sedan consistently.
We come to this group to find solutions, not get blamed for why our car isn't performing properly. Obviously other people are having issues with this car.
I didn't necessarily blame the driver, it is a combination of the driver and the driving environment (i.e. traffic, weather, altitude, elevation changes...). You also need to understand hybrid cars have strengths and weaknesses; as a general rule if you are doing lots of highway driving at speed, hybrid cars are not in their optimal environment compared to non-hybrids.

Another thing to consider is they aren't necessarily advertised to get 49 mpg (the vehicle specs say "MPG Ratings*"); they are advertised as having gotten up to 49 mpg on the EPA tests, tests which are not real-world. The asterisk after the "MPG Ratings" claim says:
  • Based on 2022 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, battery-pack age/condition (hybrid trims) and other factors.
So, circling back to my initial response to you, my statement stands once again.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:56 PM
Default 2017 Accord Hybrid Touring gets poor MPG

Can anyone tell me why I only get 33 MPG on my 2017 Accord Hybrid Touring model? The MPG rating etimates are put out by Honda are 49, yet I'm getting 33 to 35 at best.

I consistently get higher MPG on every vehicle I have ever owned. I'm a high-miler. Also, I recently averaged 38 MPG for hundreds of miles (not like some small trip to a grocery store) on a Toyota Camry NON Hybrid. I also average mid forties on the Ford Fusion Hybrid. So it's clearly not my driving habits.
I drive a combination of city and highway. I get 33 highway and 35 city.
This MPG seems ridiculously low for any Hybrid, much less this one with an estimated 49 MPG.

I'm extremely frustrated as the dealer tells me I ought to be happy with the mileage I'm getting.
No! I'm NOT happy! Can someone tell me why the mileage is so poor? Fuel cell battery not working at all, or what?