Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   2017 Accor Hybrid POor gas mileage (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/2017-accor-hybrid-poor-gas-mileage-64760/)

jjprsf 07-03-2017 07:45 PM

2017 Accor Hybrid POor gas mileage

Got my new 2017 accord hybrid touring a month ago, the 1st 2 tank of gas get me about 40 mpg, not great but ok. Starts from my last trip from LA to SF last week, I stared getting real poor gas mileage, all highway drive from LA to SF and back I got only about 37 mpg. Now after about 2000 miles, I am only getting about 33 mpg no matter on highway or local. What is wrong with the car? Anyone had similar experience, thanks!

dkwilfert 07-04-2017 03:58 AM

Need a little more info. How fast are you driving, and has that speed increased as you have become more used to the car? With Honda's hybrid design (i.e., no gears, just fixed ratio for the gas engine) as you drive above about 60-65 MPH the MPG will fall off FAST. If you happen to be one of those running 75-80, your observed mileage may be falling well down into the 30's.
Hybrid MPG's are poorer on the highway than around town by design, so for your use of mostly highway the hybrid may simply not be the best choice.
Aside from that, my hybrid MPG didn't start to really get better until I had about 13k-14k miles on the car and the gas engine got nicely broken-in, but my mostly around town driving would have slowed that break-in process.

jjprsf 07-04-2017 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply. Driving habit is the same as I would drive any other car, the thing that does not make sense is with the same driving manner on the same road, the gas mileage fell off from 40s+ to low 30s within 2 week opr so, what is wrong with this accord hybrid? Do I need bring it back for the dealer to check?

shipo 07-04-2017 03:55 PM

More A/C?

jjprsf 07-04-2017 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 375877)
More A/C?

No same A/C same settings especially for comparison reasons.

Hal2 05-03-2018 06:10 PM

I have 2018 Touring Hydrid, I put the 19" wheels on, (they look sharp). I am getting 39-40 mpg. Dealer says it is due to the bigger wheels. Does the computer need to know the bigger wheels? The dealer put the wheels on. What is the feeling here? True or false?

shipo 05-03-2018 06:30 PM

Nineteen inch wheels will only harm fuel economy compared to smaller wheels.

Hal2 05-03-2018 06:36 PM

40mpg

Do you think 19" and 40 mpg is good? If I put 17" back on should I get 47 mpg?

jemanner 05-03-2018 06:49 PM

The designers/engineers have spent many hours optimizing the vehicle for fuel economy. Even different tires, albeit the same size, can have a negative effect. Virtually anything one does in modifications will be a detriment. I have noticed even the slightest headwind can have a major effect on MPG. Our "Standard Loop" is 60 miles for shopping at a nearby city at 72-3 (posted 70 MPH), and we are averaging right at 45 MPG in warm weather, about 5 MPG less in the winter (when the heater requires the engine to be running more of the time)

Battsinsure 10-06-2018 08:48 AM

At 62MPG on a long haul I have gotten 54MPG. But have gotten 40 doing 75mph. Using regular gas. Ive heard people get in closer to 60 if you really milk the gas pedal.

shipo 10-06-2018 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Battsinsure (Post 382463)
At 62MPG on a long haul I have gotten 54MPG. But have gotten 40 doing 75mph. Using regular gas. Ive heard people get in closer to 60 if you really milk the gas pedal.

People who drive to get 60 mpg should be banned from the roads except say between midnight and four in the morning; at other times they are a hazard to the rest of the traffic.

Mbarber1116 11-16-2018 05:32 PM

I bought a 2018 Accord Hybrid in June and have put 9000 miles on it by mid November. I most of the miles have been highway miles driving from Cincincinnati to Oshkosh Wisconsin on the interstate driving 70 - 72 mph. In inially got 47 mpg on most trips with a few at 50 mpg. However once September came and it was still warm, my mileage dropped to the low 40s and when cooler weather came in October and cold weather in November, my mileage has dropped to 38. This is my third hybrid - the others a hybrid Camry and a Lexus ES 300h. They too had reduced mileage but not to this degree. I am wondering if this is normal for this "locomotive" configuration or some thing is wrong with my car.

DJ Howard 12-11-2021 10:42 AM

I'm also getting the same mileage as you are getting in my 2017 accord hybrid. I don't know why it is performing so poorly. I also want to know why I can only get 33 miles a gallon when I should be getting closer to 50.

shipo 12-11-2021 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Howard (Post 396106)
I'm also getting the same mileage as you are getting in my 2017 accord hybrid. I don't know why it is performing so poorly. I also want to know why I can only get 33 miles a gallon when I should be getting closer to 50.

When it comes to fuel economy, there is no such a thing as "should be getting...", it all depends upon the driving environment and the person behind the wheel.

DJ Howard 12-11-2021 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 396107)
When it comes to fuel economy, there is no such a thing as "should be getting...", it all depends upon the driving environment and the person behind the wheel.

As if you don't know what I'm saying here. The Accord Hybrid is advertised as getting 49 MPG. I've gotten better than the rating in EVERY other car I have ever owned. I baby this car, attempting every trick to get better fuel economy. It's not the driver. It's the car.

shipo 12-11-2021 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Howard (Post 396111)
As if you don't know what I'm saying here. The Accord Hybrid is advertised as getting 49 MPG. I've gotten better than the rating in EVERY other car I have ever owned. I baby this car, attempting every trick to get better fuel economy. It's not the driver. It's the car.

Doesn't matter; my statement stands.

DJ Howard 12-11-2021 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 396114)
Doesn't matter; my statement stands.

It would be cool if instead of blaming the driver you would actually address the issue as to why this car's MPG sucks when it is advertised as 49 MPG. I can get 37-40 MPG in a NON-hybrid mid size sedan consistently.
We come to this group to find solutions, not get blamed for why our car isn't performing properly. Obviously other people are having issues with this car.

shipo 12-12-2021 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by DJ Howard (Post 396115)
It would be cool if instead of blaming the driver you would actually address the issue as to why this car's MPG sucks when it is advertised as 49 MPG. I can get 37-40 MPG in a NON-hybrid mid size sedan consistently.
We come to this group to find solutions, not get blamed for why our car isn't performing properly. Obviously other people are having issues with this car.

I didn't necessarily blame the driver, it is a combination of the driver and the driving environment (i.e. traffic, weather, altitude, elevation changes...). You also need to understand hybrid cars have strengths and weaknesses; as a general rule if you are doing lots of highway driving at speed, hybrid cars are not in their optimal environment compared to non-hybrids.

Another thing to consider is they aren't necessarily advertised to get 49 mpg (the vehicle specs say "MPG Ratings*"); they are advertised as having gotten up to 49 mpg on the EPA tests, tests which are not real-world. The asterisk after the "MPG Ratings" claim says:
  • Based on 2022 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, battery-pack age/condition (hybrid trims) and other factors.
So, circling back to my initial response to you, my statement stands once again.

DJ Howard 12-12-2021 08:56 PM

2017 Accord Hybrid Touring gets poor MPG

Can anyone tell me why I only get 33 MPG on my 2017 Accord Hybrid Touring model? The MPG rating etimates are put out by Honda are 49, yet I'm getting 33 to 35 at best.

I consistently get higher MPG on every vehicle I have ever owned. I'm a high-miler. Also, I recently averaged 38 MPG for hundreds of miles (not like some small trip to a grocery store) on a Toyota Camry NON Hybrid. I also average mid forties on the Ford Fusion Hybrid. So it's clearly not my driving habits.
I drive a combination of city and highway. I get 33 highway and 35 city.
This MPG seems ridiculously low for any Hybrid, much less this one with an estimated 49 MPG.

I'm extremely frustrated as the dealer tells me I ought to be happy with the mileage I'm getting.
No! I'm NOT happy! Can someone tell me why the mileage is so poor? Fuel cell battery not working at all, or what?