New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

99 accord parts to keep

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 99 accord parts to keep

Was wondering if u fellow forum members out there could give me some ideas on what parts would be worth hanging on to?currently have a 99 Accord LX sedan 2.3l vtech.been good to me can't let it go,so came across another 1 with fronted damage right side and trying to see what parts would be worth keeping for any future problems I could encounter?aside from the usual alternator ,radiator, bulbs transmission etc etc?appreciate any advice or ideas ,got 298k on mine and been lucky to have never been stranded ,it jeeps on going but figured I have access to additional parts trying to see which ones to hang on to short of the whole car,no more space in the yard!thanks

Old 03-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by snntuson
Was wondering if u fellow forum members out there could give me some ideas on what parts would be worth hanging on to?currently have a 99 Accord LX sedan 2.3l vtech.been good to me can't let it go,so came across another 1 with fronted damage right side and trying to see what parts would be worth keeping for any future problems I could encounter?aside from the usual alternator ,radiator, bulbs transmission etc etc?appreciate any advice or ideas ,got 298k on mine and been lucky to have never been stranded ,it jeeps on going but figured I have access to additional parts trying to see which ones to hang on to short of the whole car,no more space in the yard!thanks
Myself, I'd keep the ECU, and the ignition switch (w/key) along with the electrical side of it. Maybe even the upper part of the steering column, as that would give you the light switch, and the wiper switch too. I'd also get all 4 door handles, as they like to stop returning down after lifting them up to open the door. If both cars have the same rear brake set up, those parts are keepers, as are the rear taillight assemblies. Look at the exhaust, and see how rusty it is or isn't, as you might want to grab it too. You might want to look the car over and see if there are other parts you might want to grab before the car goes away.
Note, those are just some of the things I could think of right off hand in addition to what you mentioned. Note, I have 2- 6th gen Accords in my driveway.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

U mentioned some things I didn't bother to think of ,I had considered the cat/exhaust,but forgot the door handles.and I know the key and ignition can be costly. I appreciate the advice now comes the task of disassembly .thanks again toe cutter!!

Old 03-23-2019, 01:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by snntuson
U mentioned some things I didn't bother to think of ,I had considered the cat/exhaust,but forgot the door handles.and I know the key and ignition can be costly. I appreciate the advice now comes the task of disassembly .thanks again toe cutter!!
No problem. Yeah, sometimes you don't think about little mickey mouse stuff until you need it. You could also see about the trunk lid or the lock stuff inside, as some of that stuff is hard to find. The overhead console is another one. Like said before maybe even the seats, or oddball stuff like that if they are in better condition than what you have. Cloth seats do wear, and the "leather" seats like to split at the seams.
Edit: I just thought you might want to get the door lock actuators while you're removing the door handles. They seem to fail more often on the newer Accords, but you never know.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 03-24-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Afterms reading your reply I have been adding to the list.I too thought about the actuators I like your advice on the rear brake system! Figured fuse relays under hood as well as headlight and taillight bulbs.unfortunately the guy I got the car from had given away the front seats thinking I wasn't coming back for the car.my passenger seat track is cracked at the mount in back ,could've used that seat lol.figured I would post on here to see what others would come up with helping me out as well as others in the future.definately going to hang on to the ignition system as you mentioned, had my harness go out before that was a task replacing.ave another 99 I picked up as a parts car but it was running had a dent uo front but that was about it,besides the usual tranny problem (slips a little in 1 if the gears)our vehicles are known to have so figured since I came across this 1 for 300,I could pull the tranny and put in the car I have in back as well as parts u mentioned and sell the rest to recover my 300.hoping I can recover that by letting go of the engine and battery alone!maybe wishful thinking lol thanks again if u have any other advice feel free I appreciate your help!!

Old 03-26-2019, 05:56 PM

Do you still have the ABS pump/motor? I believe mine just bit the dust.