Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Automatic to Manual Swap on 2002 LX V6 accord coupe (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/automatic-manual-swap-2002-lx-v6-accord-coupe-67512/)

JacobDibble 02-09-2020 12:13 PM

Automatic to Manual Swap on 2002 LX V6 accord coupe

Hi,

I am relatively new to modding and I have some questions. I currently have a 2002 LX V6 Accord coupe with a automatic transmission. I’ve debating doing an trans swap to a manual, but I’ve heard the vtec computer doesn’t like going from auto to manual, it can do other way around. I was curious if there’s a way to reprogram the computer or what to look for in terms of a new vtec computer to do the swap. Thanks

shipo 02-09-2020 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by JacobDibble (Post 389298)
Hi,

I am relatively new to modding and I have some questions. I currently have a 2002 LX V6 Accord coupe with a automatic transmission. I’ve debating doing an trans swap to a manual, but I’ve heard the vtec computer doesn’t like going from auto to manual, it can do other way around. I was curious if there’s a way to reprogram the computer or what to look for in terms of a new vtec computer to do the swap. Thanks

If you really want to do a 6MT swap, your best bet would be to find a similar vintage Acura CL 6MT in a bone yard and use it for your swap. That said, it will be better, faster, cheaper to simply find a good condition CL Type-S 6MT and sell your car.

JacobDibble 02-09-2020 12:58 PM

It’s not the trans that’s the problem, I’ve heard I need to reprogram the computer so it doesn’t fail or properly works right. Is that a wrong assumption?

JacobDibble 02-09-2020 01:01 PM

Or are you saying do a full engine and trans swap?

shipo 02-09-2020 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by JacobDibble (Post 389303)
Or are you saying do a full engine and trans swap?

Yup, an Accord Coupe with a J32A2 and a 6MT would be quite a fun car.

JacobDibble 02-09-2020 09:39 PM

How much do you figure the trans/engine combo being? I saw a J32 engine with a manual transmission combo for $1300 off JDM-Orlando

shipo 02-10-2020 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by JacobDibble (Post 389312)
How much do you figure the trans/engine combo being? I saw a J32 engine with a manual transmission combo for $1300 off JDM-Orlando

I wouldn't buy just the engine and transmission, I'm suggesting you buy an entire wrecked car. The reason being is there are wiring harnesses which you'll need for the manual transmission swap along with all of the shift linkage and clutch hydraulics.

JacobDibble 02-10-2020 07:49 AM

Oh okay, I see. I’ll have to keep an eye out, I live 5 min (literally a walk) from my counties auto salvage yard, I can swing by and see if they have one and get a quote or have them let me know.

JacobDibble 02-10-2020 08:19 AM

So it’s a lot harder to find, as it a rarer Acura, so I may end up buying the Engine/Trans and getting the parts from either a manual accord or Civic Si of the same gen.

shipo 02-10-2020 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by JacobDibble (Post 389324)
So it’s a lot harder to find, as it a rarer Acura, so I may end up buying the Engine/Trans and getting the parts from either a manual accord or Civic Si of the same gen.

Parts from a 4-cylinder manual Accord or a Civic SI will not even remotely fit.

What I've been trying to tell you is, the only car Honda built off the same platform as your Accord with both a V6 and a manual transmission is the Acura CL 6MT, which I believe, by definition is a Type-S model, and yes, they are extremely rare. Unless you can source a CL for parts, you are going to be forced to fab up a HUGE number of parts to fit all of the mechanicals, and then you'll still be left with the challenge of getting the electronics working.

Regarding the 4-cylinder Gen6 Accords with manual transmissions, they were built with the engine and transmission flip-flopped (the engine is on the left side and the transmission is on the right side, exactly opposite of the V6 models); needless to say, the parts won't work.