Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   New abs sensor not working (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/new-abs-sensor-not-working-66463/)

Tompkinswest 01-30-2019 07:49 PM

New abs sensor not working

hi there,
I just replaced front bearings in 2004 Accord. Manual tranny. While I was doing so, I broke the abs sensors. I had to drill them out and then replace them. After putting car back together and test driving my abs would engage at over 5 mph. It was pulsing so fast that it almost sounded like grinding and Lmost completely prohibited me from stopping. Slow speeds, less than 5 mph, works fine. After a few tries, ABS light came on and brakes worked normal except now ABS won’t engage and I skid. **** car off for a few minutes, light goes off and same thing happens all over again. Any suggestions? Maybe sensor got dirty?

ckev70 01-30-2019 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tompkinswest (Post 383981)
hi there,
I just replaced front bearings in 2004 Accord. Manual tranny. While I was doing so, I broke the abs sensors. I had to drill them out and then replace them. After putting car back together and test driving my abs would engage at over 5 mph. It was pulsing so fast that it almost sounded like grinding and Lmost completely prohibited me from stopping. Slow speeds, less than 5 mph, works fine. After a few tries, ABS light came on and brakes worked normal except now ABS won’t engage and I skid. **** car off for a few minutes, light goes off and same thing happens all over again. Any suggestions? Maybe sensor got dirty?

I thought the wheel bearing has a specific orientation for installation. According the SKF, the FW26 2004 - 2014 Honda Accord & Acura TL has an integrated ABS Tone. Read the ABS codes using a ODBII that supports honda vehicles to see if there is an error

Tompkinswest 01-31-2019 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by ckev70 (Post 383983)
I thought the wheel bearing has a specific orientation for installation. According the SKF, the FW26 2004 - 2014 Honda Accord & Acura TL has an integrated ABS Tone. Read the ABS codes using a ODBII that supports honda vehicles to see if there is an error

I took sensors out nd cleaned them. For a moment the brakes worked fine. Then the ABS kicked in again any time I braked. The ABS light came on disengaging the ABS. Now I cannot get light to go out. My code reader reads no codes. I used a multi meter in sensors and got approximately 1.4. Any suggestions?

ckev70 01-31-2019 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tompkinswest (Post 383994)

I took sensors out nd cleaned them. For a moment the brakes worked fine. Then the ABS kicked in again any time I braked. The ABS light came on disengaging the ABS. Now I cannot get light to go out. My code reader reads no codes. I used a multi meter in sensors and got approximately 1.4. Any suggestions?

This is cross posting but oh well:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...aring-3131185/
Basically it sounds like the wheel bearing was installed backwards. Check to see if a metal paper clip is magnetic on the side of the bearing closest to the ABS sensor or the opposite side. The magnetic portion of the bearing should be closest to the ABS sensor. A basic ODBII Reader won't be able to read some of the more advanced errors. You'll need one that will support Honda brakes/ABS.

Tompkinswest 02-06-2019 05:36 PM

Worse now

Ok....so i took apart both sides again. I cleaned off any residual metal dust that was on the bearing from when I reemed out the hole to put the ABS sensor back in. I also checked to see if the bearing was magnetic on the inside and it was. My ABS light is still on but my brakes work just fine. I took it about 50 miles and now the brake light and ABS lights are both on. I’m scared to drive it now. My home code reader and the one T the auto parts store were both unable to reset the codes. I’m afraid I’ll now have to take it to a dealer. Any more suggestions?

ckev70 02-07-2019 09:48 AM

it sounds like you are using a generic ODBII reader to try clearing the ABS fault. You'll need one that can read the codes. My Foxwell NT510 allows ABS testing from the tool and allows live info.

Tompkinswest 02-07-2019 10:41 AM

Will that clear both ABS and Brake?

ckev70 02-07-2019 01:14 PM

Based on how you describe the ABS light being on followed by the Brake Light, i would suspect 2 problems. Without the codes, it's just a guess as to what is going on. ​​​​