New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New from Nevada

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New from Nevada

Good afternoon All

I am here because I just bought my teenage son his first car. We bought him a 2004 Accord EX with 188,000 miles. But it seems to have been very well maintained. Drives solid. I've got lots of questions but having experience with other auto enthusiast forums "Search is my friend". I promise not to ask any questions without searching in depth first.

The rest of the day today is dedicated to me completing an inspections from bumper to bumper.

Due to the lack of maintenance records I am going to make replacing the timing belt a priority. Anything else you guys/gals might recommend?

A little history of my ownership:
1. My first car was a 1984 Accord
2. 1990 Accord EX - I loved this car. Lots fun to drive and many good memories.
3. 2007 Acura TSX

In my immediate family through the years:
1. 1988 Civic
2. Acura MDX
3. Two CR-V's
4. 2003 Accord
5. Acura MDX. Early mid 2000's

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to contributing as much as I can to pay it forward.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Is it a V-6 engine? Because the 4-cyl 2.4 liter in 2004 has a timing chain.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It’s the v6. Can someone please confirm it is a timing belt and not a chain?

So I pulled three of the plugs and they looked fine. At that point I figured I might as well just change them for good measure so I will inspect the rear three when I do.

Question. Why is the middle ignition coil orange compared the the other two? Is this okay or should I replace? Pic below

Ignition coils

Old 12-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

A few comments:
  • The engine has a Timing Belt; the belt change is due every 105,000 miles (I strongly recommend the water pump, tensioner, cam seals and front crank seal get changed at the same time). Honda used to have a 7-Year time limit on the belt; this was dropped right about the time your car was built.
  • The middle coil was probably changed; it is not unusual for one or two coils to have failed by the time 188,000 miles have shown up on the clock.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
A few comments:
  • The engine has a Timing Belt; the belt change is due every 105,000 miles (I strongly recommend the water pump, tensioner, cam seals and front crank seal get changed at the same time). Honda used to have a 7-Year time limit on the belt; this was dropped right about the time your car was built.
  • The middle coil was probably changed; it is not unusual for one or two coils to have failed by the time 188,000 miles have shown up on the clock.
@shipo I will take that advice and have all those extra items addressed. Since the dealer will have the car for the new key I’ll let them keep it a little longer.

Also I’m thinking it might be a good idea to have them flush the trans and coolant. Any chance the trans flush might create more problems and I should just leave it be?

Old 12-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lateralus

@shipo I will take that advice and have all those extra items addressed. Since the dealer will have the car for the new key I’ll let them keep it a little longer.

Also I’m thinking it might be a good idea to have them flush the trans and coolant. Any chance the trans flush might create more problems and I should just leave it be?
Flush the coolant, never-ever flush a Honda automatic transmission. For the ATF, simply drain, refill with ~3-quarts, drive a few miles, and repeat two more times. In addition, replace both third and fourth gear Pressure Switches.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
Flush the coolant, never-ever flush a Honda automatic transmission. For the ATF, simply drain, refill with ~3-quarts, drive a few miles, and repeat two more times. In addition, replace both third and fourth gear Pressure Switches.
Thank you.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Found the owners manual for an '07 but not an '04. Did anything change in regards to the fluid capacities for the V6?

Old 12-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Found the owners manual for an '07 but not an '04. Did anything change in regards to the fluid capacities for the V6?
No, all 5-speed Honda automatics take 3 quarts,

Old 12-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

2004 V-6 has a timing belt, 2004 4-cyl has a chain. I just wasn't sure which engine you had.

Some Honda dealers seem to use the term "flush" when they actually do a drain/fill. But be careful that it isn't a power-flushing machine like some other shops might use.
And regardless of the capacity, always use the transmission dipstick to check the level after you're all done. (same with the engine oil)