New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2002 accord trans leaking new guy trying to geti posting rite

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Question 2002 accord trans leaking new guy trying to geti posting rite

ok read instructions ,well mst of them I am a qualified mechanic of over 3o years have a new issue perplexing me and want a idea before I pull apart again.
2002 honda accord clutch replacement went as planned no issues now I have trans oil coming from bell housing as if it were being pumped out , ie a solid stream car drives and shifts fine clutch alignment was fine trany went in without binding the only thing incan think ofbis front seal but wow a copious amount of fluid anyone ever had this what did I miss?

Old 12-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chiefmopar
ok read instructions ,well mst of them I am a qualified mechanic of over 3o years have a new issue perplexing me and want a idea before I pull apart again.
2002 honda accord clutch replacement went as planned no issues now I have trans oil coming from bell housing as if it were being pumped out , ie a solid stream car drives and shifts fine clutch alignment was fine trany went in without binding the only thing incan think ofbis front seal but wow a copious amount of fluid anyone ever had this what did I miss?
What did you do to determine it was MTF versus engine oil from the rear main seal?

Old 12-04-2018, 07:57 PM

of course the mfg required fluid was used which has the smell of gear lube as well as is clear in color and was the fluid leaking .

Old 12-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chiefmopar
of course the mfg required fluid was used which has the smell of gear lube as well as is clear in color and was the fluid leaking .
I'm not sure I understand. The OEM fluid was either Honda MTF or "If Honda MTF is not available, you may use an API service SG, SH or SJ grade motor oil with a viscosity of SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 as a temporary replacement."

I'm still curious, how have you determined the leaking fluid was from the transmission and not the engine?

Old 12-05-2018, 03:11 AM

the fluid I put in the trany was supplied by the customer and smelled like gear lube the same as the fluid that leaked from the trany when removeing the shafts it was also clear as it was when put in trans not black or dark like motor oil but mostly bu the smell .