Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/)
-   -   boosting f23a1 worth it? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/boosting-f23a1-worth-27045/)

jdm_accord 08-01-2009 04:47 AM

boosting f23a1 worth it?

i was thinking about boosting my 99 accord and i wondered if its worth it:confused:. i drive it daily and plan to jus boost to 8psi or less with stock internals til i get money to upgrade the internals. any help/info would be appreciated.

jasonfridlund 08-04-2009 04:28 PM

i suppose it could work. people have done it. just beware of the stock compression ratio. If it is already like 11:1, boosting any more than like 4 psi woukd blow it. Most 4cyl N/A engins already have a crazy high compression ratio. my friend's has a 11.9:1 and he tried boosting to 8 psi and the pistons shot out of the block and dented the hood.

00AccordLX5spd 08-04-2009 04:38 PM

I have heard plenty of testimony that the stock internals can handle up to 8 PSI. I do not have any personal experience though.
You should try looking around on 6thgenaccord.com as well. Probably more guys on there that have boosted 4cyl 6th gens

jdm_accord 08-05-2009 02:54 AM

hm i see, thanks for your guys input in this. and i aint to sure what my compression ratio is right now but ill get on figuring that out soon. :)

jasonfridlund 08-05-2009 03:01 AM

ok your compression ratio is about 8.9:1 new, so id say maybe 8.5:1 now, so yes a low boost of 6-8psi should be safe an you might get upwards of 250hp. if you really wanna get goin though, you could get forged pistons with really high end rings, some new cylinder heads, and maybe some new valves, and you could prob push 10-14psi and make upwards of 400hp or thereabouts. The only thing is you might make 400hp for a year and have the engine blow. If I were you, I'd upgrade the internals and then boost to nice comfy 8-9psi. Then youd prob have a compression ratio of 11.5 or 12:1 and you'd be pushin the reliability limits of the engine but not crossin the line.

jdm_accord 08-06-2009 05:33 AM

i see, so it be a little more risky when i boost low w/ out upgrading the internals then right? oh yah, and would i have to really change the ecu for the boost? and possibly move the battery to the back of the car?

jasonfridlund 08-11-2009 04:58 AM

my opinion stands that turbo-ing up to 6psi with stock internals should be ok. but u might sacrifice a year or two on the engine.

and in my opinion go through greddy and get a whole setup. they will get u the ecu, wire harness, turbo kit, etc. their prices are high but they have great quality. Just say..hey i want _____hp out of a 4banger with ____stock hp and ____displacement. What should I do?

say that and they wil lhelp u...just fill in the numbers :D

jdm_accord 08-12-2009 02:10 AM

yah better to pay that than getting screwed. hey thanks alot for your help! =]

rchowe26 03-31-2014 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by jdm_accord (Post 180889)
yah better to pay that than getting screwed. hey thanks alot for your help! =]

How did boosting the car go? I just bought one and I'm highly interested in boosting it

live2rice 04-01-2014 08:38 AM

This thread is 5 years old so I highly doubt you will get a response. But Accords like turbos to answer your question.