Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/)
-   -   F22 + turbo questions (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/f22-turbo-questions-55428/)

Jared'Shin 06-21-2013 08:42 PM

F22 + turbo questions

Hey all, I've got a few questions about turbocharging an F22 engine as well as turbos in general.

1. How much boost can the stock connecting rods handle? The boost I'm looking at is just the standard 7-8 PSI, but I'm wondering how much the stock rods can reliably handle. If something stronger should be used, what are some recommendations?

2. What kind of changes to the engine management needs to be made? More boost = denser air = need for more fuel. The factory ECM of course is programmed to run the engine as it is without a turbo, but what changes, if any, need to be made to accept the denser air charge of a turbo? Can the ECM be reflashed, or should it just be pitched for something completely different? Will a high volume pump with bigger injectors be necessary?

3. Does the automatic stand a snowballs chance in hell of standing up to the power increase for ~100,000 miles with occasional "spirited" driving if it were rebuilt with an aftermarket cooler? If not, could it be modified to better handle it or would it just be more cost effective to swap in a 5 speed?

4. Running 8 lbs. of boost with cam/exhaust/etc. upgrades how much power can be expected from an F22?

All answers are appreciated. :D

live2rice 06-21-2013 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jared'Shin (Post 324863)
Hey all, I've got a few questions about turbocharging an F22 engine as well as turbos in general.

1. How much boost can the stock connecting rods handle? The boost I'm looking at is just the standard 7-8 PSI, but I'm wondering how much the stock rods can reliably handle. If something stronger should be used, what are some recommendations?

2. What kind of changes to the engine management needs to be made? More boost = denser air = need for more fuel. The factory ECM of course is programmed to run the engine as it is without a turbo, but what changes, if any, need to be made to accept the denser air charge of a turbo? Can the ECM be reflashed, or should it just be pitched for something completely different? Will a high volume pump with bigger injectors be necessary?

3. Does the automatic stand a snowballs chance in hell of standing up to the power increase for ~100,000 miles with occasional "spirited" driving if it were rebuilt with an aftermarket cooler? If not, could it be modified to better handle it or would it just be more cost effective to swap in a 5 speed?

4. Running 8 lbs. of boost with cam/exhaust/etc. upgrades how much power can be expected from an F22?

All answers are appreciated. :D

1)7-8psi would last a good amount of time. The rods would be the weak point though. Check out Bisimoto.com for all your F series needs.

2)A chipped OBD1 ECU would be needed(people usually choose the P28). Either just chipped or with a piggyback unit like Hondata S200 or the Hondata S300. Don't skimp on the tune as that is where the engine is made or lost.

3) People have boosted with the automatic before but it won't last nearly as long as the manual counterpart. How long exactly? I can't really say for sure.

4) A lot of variables here but I would say in the 250whp range.

Jared'Shin 06-21-2013 09:06 PM

Thanks for the quick answers, man. And I'm familiar with Bisimoto, their F22 CRX is sick. If I had infinite funding, they'd be the first people I'd send my F22 to, LOL.

One more question I forgot to ask, will the factory pistons be fine, assuming the stock 6,200 RPM redline? It would be very nice since the compression ratio seems perfect for a turbo.

And if one were to run 8,000+ RPMs would the Bisimoto pistons be recommended?

live2rice 06-21-2013 09:12 PM

The pistons will be fine. People have run 7-8psi on stock pistons for years without issue. I have even seen some torture tests of 15-20psi lasting quite a while before they blow. Now if you are talking about your 274,000 mile engine I might be a bit worried about it blowing.

There would be a decent amount of machine work and replacement parts in getting a F series to rev that high, but if anyone could help you do that it would be Bisi.

Jared'Shin 06-21-2013 09:23 PM

Thanks again. And I wouldn't actually try and boost a quarter million mile engine without rebuilding it of course, LOL. I can't envision that ending in anything other than disaster.

Jared'Shin 06-21-2013 10:08 PM

One more question just for giggles, what would be the minimum to make a 12 second quarter mile Accord while still keeping it practical for street use? Would nitrous be a necessity here, or could it be done with adequate boost and good tires?

live2rice 06-22-2013 06:27 AM

You wouldn't need too much more than 250whp. I'd say 12-14psi. A LSD transmission, traction bar, and some slicks. Utilizing the power is the hardest part.

Jared'Shin 06-22-2013 12:06 PM

Thanks for all the help. One more thing, what oil weight would you recommend? And do you have a preferred brand?

live2rice 06-22-2013 12:12 PM

Oil weight varies some depending on where you live, mainly the temperature. But I would stick with either 5w30 or 10w30.

As far as brand its really personal preference. I run mobile 1 in my volvos and did in my hondas. In my rotary I use castrol non synthetic but that is a entirely different discussion.

Hondabuggy 04-12-2015 07:10 PM

F22 turbo

I have a Honda f22 transaxle rock crawler and I don't have a obd port to have it tuned for a turbo I already have everything hooked up would a 10:1 fmu work I also got a 80 pound fuel pump I haven't put any of the fuel stuff on I been driving with just stock tune with turbo on but I have such low gearing it really don't see a load just driving around in the paster but when I start crawling rocks and getting in a bind it will see a load and I don't wanna mess it up it will never see boost longer than 2 to 3 seconds so just a easy but safe way to get more fuel I really don't wanna pin out the port and help thanks