Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

2003 to 2007 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Default 2003 to 2007 Accord

My wife and I are considering replacing our '92 Accord with something this summer. I've been mulling over several AWD options (such as the Highlander, Outlander, etc) for winter driving, or, more recently, by simply buying a newer, 4-cyl, 4-door, auto Accord from 2003 to 2007 (7th generation).

The greatest advantage of an Accord would be that that model is a vehicle with which I already have some DIY familiarity. In short, I believe that I will be able to fix/maintain just about everything short of major engine or transmaission problems. I can't say this about the AWD alternatives, about which I know virtually zero.

Our daughter has owned an '03 4-cyl manual for several years and she has not had a single problem with it, so that encourages me that at least her car is very reliable.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some advice on what to look for, or avoid, when choosing a 7th gen. vehicle. For example, what are the known issues with this gen., if any? Are brake and suspension components as easy to replace as that of our '92? What is considered "high mileage" in a 7th gen.? Etc., etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Manual transmission?

We had a 2003 4-cyl manual and it was good. You won't recognize the engine vs. your 92, but of course it's the same as your daughter's.

I think the front brakes are easier than your 92. They're "normal" instead of those hub-over-rotor things.

4-cyl has a timing chain, not a belt. For the V-6 you would want to know when the timing belt is due.

What I didn't like, just for your own consideration.
- Front edge of the hood curves down to the grille, not the prettiest car, and prone to stone chips.
- Something about the position of the console & gearshift lever didn't get along with my arm. The shifter is a real sweet smooth-working arrangement. Just wish it was positioned a little differently.
- Brakes were real touchy. Over-boosted or something. I hated that, my daughter loved it. She drove the car, so there...

Last edited by JimBlake; 03-20-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I had a 2007 Accord that my daughter managed to total. I really loved it. Never did anything but change oil and brakes. Maybe a tad bit of road noise more than I would like, but tolerable.

I agree w/ avoiding 4WD, unless you do a lot of driving on icy conditions. Just a problem that you don't need in warmer climes.

good luck

Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I've driven our daughter's Accord a couple of times and, as far as handling goes, our '92 is in the dark ages by comparison. The 7th gen engine is also a heck of a lot quieter idling than our '92, and road noise is also far less.

Jim, I agree with your daughter about the 7th gen brakes. Their touch is fantastic, IMO. Our 92's feeling spongy by comparison.

But one thing I have noticed after my first post is that there is at least some spillover of the 6th gen auto transmission problems into the 7th and that's got me more than a bit concerned.

Honda Transmission Problems Seem to Persist - NYTimes.com

As I said, our daughter has the manual tranny and she's never even had to have the clutch done yet, but my wife and I definitely want an auto. Were the auto transmission problems solved in 2005 to 07 years?

Thanks again.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM

Mine is the V6 auto, and it definitely has some odd shifting issues when it's cold. There is some transmission flare when accelerating between 2nd-3rd, and a worrying 'clunk' when downshifting from 2nd-1st. But, it's been doing this for the better part of two years without getting worse.

Make sure the car has had all the recalls done. There was a big issue affecting the stereo and HVAC controls-Honda ended up extending the warranty to 100,000 miles (and my unit died at 99,500 miles- seriously). Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend a 7th gen over an 8th gen. I'm sure opinions may vary, but the 8th gen feels like a 70's Cadillac (it's big). The 7th gen still feels relatively agile.

You might also want to look at a Honda Pilot, which uses the same V6 (J series) as found in the Accord if you need AWD. An Outlander, a Highlander, or a Legacy might all be worth a look if you see enough snow to warrant AWD.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

You would expect the auto-trans problems to be fixed in 2003, because it's an ENTIRELY NEW transmission. Has to be because the engine is in the opposite side of the engine-bay.

But yea, people have noted some ongoing auto-trans problems. Don't know much detail because I tend to avoid automatics, so don't consider myself enough of an expert to get very involved in auto-trans threads.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I'll tell you what, I've owned two four cylinder AT 03 Accords, one a coupe, and one a sedan, both haven't had any issues with the AT, and still run like they're brand new, I just keep up my regular maintenance on them, we also just recently bought another 03 LX for my wife to drive, and it runs like a dream, definitely a great purchase no matter what!

Old 02-15-2014, 12:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Is it primarily the V6 Accords that experience the transmission failures?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I can't say that I've noticed any significant problems w/ AT's on late model Accords whether V6 or IL4.

good luck

Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 PM

Not to derail this thread, but I have the opportunity to purchase a nice 2003 Honda Accord EX-L 4cyl automatic sedan for $1500. Problem is, it's got 370,000 miles on it! Up until this point I have owned nothing but manuals-- the 6th gen transmission issues have always kind of steered me away plus I like driving stick. I test drove it today and it seems very very good, no shifting issues that I could detect, and handling was superb for its age. Apparently someone took really good care of it. Would you risk it?

Quick Reply: 2003 to 2007 Accord