Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Funny Accidents (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/funny-accidents-11261/)

finch13 07-26-2007 11:42 AM

Funny Accidents

Anyone have any entertaining accident stories involving your Accord or other cars?

Here's one:
My mom is the previous owner of my Accord until she got her MDX. Around 2000-2001 she was driving down the freeway at 80MPH and shredded a flying goose across the windshield.

Damage: $1800
- Completely shattered the windshield, obviously.
- Smashed the front 1/2 of the roof almost to my moms face.
- Hood looked like it was beaten with an ugly child.

Outcome:
I drive the car today with the original hood, roof, and new windshield. I believe Abra did the body work and it looks amazing; the only thing I can see are minor brush strokes. As for the goose, we found feathers around the car for a few months afterwards.

I might be able to find insurance pictures at home, doubtful, but I'll post them if I do.

smaglik 07-26-2007 01:03 PM

RE: Funny Accidents

I was driving an 06 325i on I94 in southern WI. It was night. I crested a small incline, and there was a peice of debris in the road. Hit it, car jumped across two lanes (freeway was deserted), ended up on the shoulder. No cosmetic damage. $2300 suspension damage.

Progressive classified it as 'collision at fault,' as I am required to make sure that the road is clear before I proceed. Given the location of the item in the headlight shadows over the crest and highway design standards, I contested it. I put together a document based upon the AASHTO Green Book (highway design standards for the US), showing that the roadway was not designed for me to avoidan object under 6" tall (it fit under my bumper) at 65mph at night, hidden behind the crest of a hill. The agreed, and reclassified it as 'collision not at fault.'

00AccordLX5spd 07-26-2007 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: smaglik

Progressive classified it as 'collision at fault,' as I am required to make sure that the road is clear before I proceed. Given the location of the item in the headlight shadows over the crest and highway design standards, I contested it. I put together a document based upon the AASHTO Green Book (highway design standards for the US), showing that the roadway was not designed for me to avoidan object under 6" tall (it fit under my bumper) at 65mph at night, hidden behind the crest of a hill. The agreed, and reclassified it as 'collision not at fault.'
Nice!! I absolutelyDESPISE Progressive[sm=icon_flaming.gif]
I am soglad to hear when someone really sticksit to them!

Offhand I can't really think of any weird accidents. Although when I was in high school me and a buddy of mine were out riding backroads in our small redneck town. We topped a hill and there was a big @$$ horse standing in the middle of the road! Luckily we didn't hit it, but it could have been bad. The funny thing is, in that town not many people own horses. That was why it was wierd.

Being in insurance claims I have seen plenty of wierd things though. I'll be sure to update this if I can think of anything good.

smaglik 07-26-2007 01:28 PM

I was actually impressed with how the handled it. The did a pretty good job making me happy with my repairs too. On top of that, the rental coverage and their discount got me a caddy to drive around for a week. Then they raised my rates...again..so i switched.

Why do you despise them?

00AccordLX5spd 07-26-2007 02:53 PM

The way they handle thier liability claims. They may handle their insureds nicely, but they try to rip off 3rd party claimants with cheap parts, etc..
Also, I have noticed they deny about 90% of their liability claims if another insurance company is involved.Even if their insured was obviously at fault. For example, if one of their insureds rear ends one of my insureds at a stop light, they will likely deny it and make up some bullsh** reason for why their person was not at fault. Then we have to"arbitrate" with themthrough an intercompany arbitration process (kind of like mediation without the lawyers.) It is just a huge waste of my time because we usually win the arbitration anyways and they wind up paying. Itjust takes up to a year to get our money. Unless they get lucky and one of the "unbiased arbitrators" works for Progressive - then we are screwed.
On top of that, they probably tagged their own insured for an "at fault" collision even though they are denying it to us saying it was not their insured's fault.
Plus I have only talked on the phone to maybe one or two Progressive adjusters that were not complete morons.
After I dealt with a few idiotProgressive adjusters, I quickly changed insurance carriers. I'd rather pay a few extra bucksfor car insurance than have an adjuster that doesn't know his/her @$$ from his/her elbow.
Prime example - you had to show them why the accident was not your fault and prove it.

I have come to the conclusion that they hire people straight out of college and give them minimal claims training. Then they send them out in the field and tell them to get claims done as cheaply as possible. They don't give a crap about what's fair or morally right, all they care about is keeping the money in house. That is why the adjusters are treated like crap and they have such a high job turnover rate. I know this because I know a guy that used to be a Progressive adjuster before I got into the Insurance Business.

smaglik 07-26-2007 02:57 PM

disturbing, but not surprising. what evil words do you have about geico?

00AccordLX5spd 07-26-2007 04:20 PM

No bad experiences with Geico yet. Although I can't really remember ever dealing with a Geico Adjuster.
I think Progressive just stands out because we always have to pay claims we shouldn't have to then subrogate against them. We won't even see any claims where there is another reputable car insurance company involved unless it is our person's fault. By this I mean: if it is the other insurance company's driver's fault, they will pay the claim without our insured ever having to report it to us because the claim is being paid by the at-fault party's insurance company. Since Progressive usually just denies everything, we have to pay our insured and subrogate against them.

smaglik 07-26-2007 08:54 PM

that is pretty sh*tty. unfortunately, I will be in the car insurace game again shortly. i am moving from lafayette, in to flagstaff, az, and my geico rate will go up 30%....worth shopping around.

live2rice 07-26-2007 10:21 PM

i saw a video on one of those amazing video shows where this women was driving down the highway at night, as a moose was walking in the same direction as she was going, she hit it in the a$$ end and it went over the hood and through the windshield and looked like it was sititng in the passenger seat, with its head sticking out the windshield.

luckly neither the women nor the moose was seriously injured.

smaglik 07-27-2007 09:04 AM

the moose was ok? was it walking around afterwards?