Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   New Weekend Car (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/new-weekend-car-51412/)

crispin 11-17-2012 06:34 PM

New Weekend Car

2 Attachment(s)
I have been wanting a convertible for a few years.

I bought a Geo Tracker 2 years ago thinking that would fill the need I had but it did not. It was fun taking it camping in the Summer but because of its under powered motor (99 HP) we just never enjoyed it enough. (it is for sale currently)

I have always been a BMW fan and owned a few of them including a 2004 650 convertible and an 06 M6 convertible. However my new priorities and desire to not waste my remaining money led me to look for other cheaper options.

The older BMW's have many issues that I am not willing to deal with. After looking around for well over a year I decided that Saab would be my best bet.

They are undervalued (esp with the recent Bankruptcy of the company), have a sporty suspension design, leather interiors, heated seats, anti-locking brakes, and stability management and are factory Turbo Charged. Nice.

I picked up this one 3 months ago.

Attachment 17812

Attachment 17813

crispin 11-17-2012 06:41 PM

The paint is in great shape, no rust anywhere, and the interior was in decent condition.

I have first replaced every almost every fluid, checked every problem area that I could find about from Saab forums.

The turbo boosts up good, the car runs almost flawless.

I have changed vacuum lines, filters, and spark plugs.

I have started on the stereo system and have something pretty darn nice (new dash, door, rear speakers, 2 - 10" JL subs, 2 seperate amps)

What I have left is to replace all the bushings, ball joints, struts, install lowering springs, and some new wheels.

This is to be my weekend / good weather car and I think I will be very happy with it.

crispin 11-17-2012 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
3 weeks ago we took it to the Smokey Mountains for a 3 night 500 mile ride through the mountains with the top down and the heated seats on. It was a wonderful trip. The colors were amazing.

Attachment 17811

live2rice 11-17-2012 07:22 PM

Very nice, I am a fan of the swedish cars having two volvos obviously. It stinks about Saab going under. I always liked the blue 9^4s or were they 9^3s.

I know Jim will like this thread.

I am looking at a E46 as a weekend car.

crispin 11-18-2012 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by live2rice (Post 302560)
Very nice, I am a fan of the swedish cars having two volvos obviously. It stinks about Saab going under. I always liked the blue 9^4s or were they 9^3s.

I know Jim will like this thread.

I am looking at a E46 as a weekend car.

I was looking at the Volvo convertibles as well.

I got this for a very low price. It is a 9-3

When I am done building this car in a couple of months I should have less than $5,000 total in the car and that includes

New suspension (shocks/struts bushings, joints, bearings, swaybar links, ect)
Wheels / tires
Stereo system

I am leaving the performance of the motor all stock. Even though it is fairly easy to turn up the boost I just do not have any need for it.

I am moving soon and this car will just be used mostly for driving up and down the Smokey Mountains. So handling, smoothness, and strong brakes are what I am looking for.

WheelBrokerAng 11-18-2012 10:51 AM

Dale That Is Sweet

1 Attachment(s)
I've always liked that model and one of my neighbors 2 houses down has one in black..when I get a new digi-cam for xmass I will take a picture or 2 and send it to you..he keeps it garaged most of the time.

Yes Jim Blake will also love your car..Right Jimmy!

Have a great day guys... :)

Angelo

JimBlake 11-18-2012 08:52 PM

Yeah!
We had a 2001 5-door for awhile. What year is yours? I don't necessarily recognize the year-to-year changes in trim.
Careful with the spark plugs. The trionic system uses them for knock sensing, so make sure you use the spec NGK plugs.

crispin 11-18-2012 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 302678)
Yeah!
We had a 2001 5-door for awhile. What year is yours? I don't necessarily recognize the year-to-year changes in trim.
Careful with the spark plugs. The trionic system uses them for knock sensing, so make sure you use the spec NGK plugs.

Jim,

This is a 99, that last year of the Saab built T-5 motor.

I am very aware of the spark plug issue, I have installed the correct NGK resistor plugs as well as I have a spare Red DIC in the trunk.

99 - 02 were the same generation.

JimBlake 11-19-2012 10:43 AM

Cool, yea the T-5 is easier to turn up the boost, vs the T-7 that we had. Sounds like you also know about T-5 vs. T-7 DIC too. Generations were a bit confusing, most consider 1994-2002 (& 2003 vert) as a generation, based on the body structure.

JimBlake 11-20-2012 10:06 AM

And a shameless plug for another forum. (Hope it's OK becuase it's not a competing Honda forum...)

www dot saabnet dot com

The "NG900" board is the one for your car.
www dot saabnet dot com /tsn/bb/NG900/index.html?by=DateThread