Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Not soon enough new accord coupe owner (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/not-soon-enough-new-accord-coupe-owner-17422/)

topgd 04-04-2008 11:12 AM

Not soon enough new accord coupe owner

Hey guys,

I just put in a deposit for an manual I4 EX Coupe. I only really need the LX-S but I think the EX extras would be good for resale value.

The problem is the estimated wait time is 2 months! Anybody else been told this before?

Anyway, it'll give me more time to research about the car. With the current gas prices, I opted for the I4. Aside, from having a high-revving engine, I think my buddy's 6-gen coupe is pretty capable of highway passing. What do you guys think? Is the added hp enough to compensate for the weight?

I'm 33 and I got 2 kids. My boy is 11 and my girl is 6. Both kids get on-off our 4-door tacoma just fine. My daughter gets into her booster seat on her own. Anybody else in a similar scenario? Am I stupid to get a coupe?

Thanks for the great site guys.

sir_nasty 04-04-2008 11:25 AM

RE: Not soon enough new accord coupe owner

since you are in a position where your kids are semi self suffecient I think you're okay... If you still had full size car seats and had to lift your kids in/out then I'd say you're nuts....

I don't think power is going to be an issue unless you're used to a porsche...

Welcome to the site!

BTW I have a 14 month old and a 5 year old...

topgd 04-04-2008 12:05 PM

sir_nasty, thanks for the reply. The way I look at it, it's added security 'cause the kids can't just open a door

kumazam 04-04-2008 01:00 PM

i test drove the I4 & V6 models both in AT trim and i wouldn't buy the I4 unless it was a manual... it pulled fine w/ the AT but that tranny was working much more between the gears then with the V6... i initially wanted a 6sp V6 car, but after driving the AT and realizing this was going to be a daily driver in Los Angeles, i opted for the AT and am perfecty happy with my choice

topgd 04-04-2008 01:22 PM

I hear you kumazam. I also wouldn't buy an I4 auto. What's your gas mileage?

BTW, I found this link http://www.revver.com/video/501056/h...showdown-2008/

Congrats on your purchase.

smaglik 04-04-2008 01:56 PM

i had an 07 i4 auto, and the tranny seemed to have to work a lot for any type of passing, or normal driving in the mountainous terrain around here.

live2rice 04-04-2008 02:04 PM

I4 is def the better choice, the K24 is one of the greatest motors honda has built to date.

smaglik 04-04-2008 02:36 PM

k24 is a fine motor. i have not driven the v6 in the 8th gen (except in a pilot), but i prefer the v6 in my 7th gen to the i4. personal preference.

sir_nasty 04-04-2008 04:26 PM

I'd rock the 4 with a stick.... not a big fan of 4cyl autos at all regardless of manufacturer though....

sir_nasty 04-04-2008 05:24 PM

I'd rock the 4 with a stick.... not a big fan of 4cyl autos at all regardless of manufacturer though....

WheelBrokerAng 04-04-2008 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: topgd

sir_nasty, thanks for the reply. The way I look at it, it's added security 'cause the kids can't just open a door

This would have been good reason enough for me to get the 2 door myself...
By the Way, Welcome to the forums ...:eek:

gomarlins3 04-04-2008 10:31 PM

I have the 4 cyl EX-L AUTO and have no complaints. I walked into the dealership after I saw it on their website. I had arrived the day before and I KNEW it wouldn't be there long. I went in that night and got it.

SunburntAccord 04-05-2008 08:29 AM

I have my 4 door because i have a 5 year old and a 1 1/2 year old, but for some reason i like the looks of a 4 door better just more car to love...lol

topgd 04-05-2008 03:57 PM

SunburntAccord, nice ride. I also don't have a problem with sedans. In fact I'm trading in a 2000 Galant V6 with a tein-kyb setup. I'm just not a fan of the current model sedan.

topgd 04-05-2008 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: WheelBrokerAng

This would have been good reason enough for me to get the 2 door myself...
By the Way, Welcome to the forums ...:eek:
Thanks for the welcome WheeelBrokerAng. But...

...Man, I shopped some more but no dealer within 50 miles has a stickEX coupe.

I was at the delearship again last night to confirm my color option. It's still silver for me. They can only order once a month. The order is going out next week and the wait time is 10 weeks. I know, it's crazy! I guess nobody walks in to buy a stick anymore.

topgd 04-05-2008 04:13 PM

ORIGINAL: live2rice

I4 is def the better choice, the K24 is one of the greatest motors honda has built to date.

live2rice, do you know if accords will be fitted with the H22 this year?

topgd 07-08-2008 12:35 PM

RE: Not soon enough new accord coupe owner. Went for sedan.

Honda would not make the I4 coupe in "stick"...

So last month I went and bought a gray LX-P sedan auto instead. I know... it's a totally different car. But since I cannot get the car I wanted, I settled at this time for the one that fits a family with 2 kids the best.

After 800 miles, here's a report on the car.

Things I like about it:
- slick front-end styling.
- enough power for both city and highway
- power driver seat, alloy wheels, security system and pop-up trunkon the LX-P
- $2k off sticker + TTL, and best deal I could get for my trade-in
- roomy backseat
- the autoarmor protection package I bought that includes paint sealant,
undercoat and interior stain protection
- 24 mi/gallon on my first tank
- 87 octane requirement
- precise steering feel
- sporty "enough" suspension
- all-black interior

Things I hate/don't like:
- The hump on the trunk lid. I might put a lip/spoiler to fix this.
- the center console is made of cheap plastic. i hear it cracking when going over
small bumps on the road. I might take this off and put a dampener behind it
- the backseat is not a 60/40 split
- my toyota tacoma truck shifts smoother
- no compass/outside temp
- the thermostat or ac/heat control is way too far too the right of the panel
- to use both front cupholders, I have to slide the elbow-rest back, making it
unusable
- "grabby" honda brakes, noticeable going downhill. This is my 5th Honda.
3rd auto. All my autos did this.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. No buyer's remorse here.

falkore24 07-08-2008 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: live2rice

live2rice, do you know if accords will be fitted with the H22 this year?
Someone will put an H22 in it! Not Honda though ...... that motor hasn't been used in a while .... it was basically replaced with the F23 and now with the K24. K24 is a better motor than the H22. It just doesn't screem as high pitched because it's a longblock.