Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

POST YOUR Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 12:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Stevek66
That's exactly what I like to hear!
Agreed. I've got a 99 Accord sedan with 5 speed. I think the original clutch is working on becoming due, as it slips a little when you really get on it. But then 238K miles will do that. At least the heat works great, and the AC still blows frigid air in the summer.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Yup, clutch time draweth near. RockAuto has some of the best prices going on parts from the OEM maker (which I believe is LuK).

Old 02-25-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Yup, clutch time draweth near. RockAuto has some of the best prices going on parts from the OEM maker (which I believe is LuK).
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll do it once it warms up around here, as it's currently 22*F and I have a garage full of cars needing work too.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll do it once it warms up around here, as it's currently 22*F and I have a garage full of cars needing work too.
I bought all LuK clutch components for my TL last year from RockAuto, Dual-Mass flywheel included, for under $400, I imagine a 1999 5-Speed Accord will be significantly less expensive.

Edit #1: I just looked up your car, they have an AMS kit which includes a new Slave Cylinder, Master Cylinder, Flywheel, and Clutch Kit (release bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc, and pilot tool) for a very reasonable $224.79.

Edit #2: A new LuK flywheel is $34.79 and a new LuK Clutch Kit (same parts as above) is only $71.79.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 PM

Agreed. I've got a 99 Accord sedan with 5 speed. I think the original clutch is working on becoming due, as it slips a little when you really get on it. But then 238K miles will do that. At least the heat works great, and the AC still blows frigid air in the summer.
Agreed re: the heater. My first winter with it and it's excellent. Not bad at all having the original clutch at 200+k miles. Two Subarus I had needed the clutches replaced well below that. Then there was the likely head gasket replacement with those. Glad to see it seems like it's not a common occurrence with these Hondas.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:27 PM

I bought all LuK clutch components for my TL last year from RockAuto, Dual-Mass flywheel included, for under $400, I imagine a 1999 5-Speed Accord will be significantly less expensive.

Edit #1: I just looked up your car, they have an AMS kit which includes a new Slave Cylinder, Master Cylinder, Flywheel, and Clutch Kit (release bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc, and pilot tool) for a very reasonable $224.79.

Edit #2: A new LuK flywheel is $34.79 and a new LuK Clutch Kit (same parts as above) is only $71.79.
Thanks for checking into it for me. I was probably going to use them for parts anyway, since it seems they usually have the best price on the parts I need. Right now winter is trying to stick around and remind me spring isn't here yet, as we just got 5 inches of fresh snow this morning.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for checking into it for me. I was probably going to use them for parts anyway, since it seems they usually have the best price on the parts I need. Right now winter is trying to stick around and remind me spring isn't here yet, as we just got 5 inches of fresh snow this morning.
Keep us posted.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Actually I got to looking at the odo, and found it's at 234,880 miles, not 238K miles. Sorry about that (my wife's car has 239K on it with an AT). The clutch also hasn't been slipping that bad recently, so it must have been the hot weather we had that one day last fall, even though I could smell clutch material. So, I'm going to nurse it as long as I can, and probably do it in the early fall.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Actually I got to looking at the odo, and found it's at 234,880 miles, not 238K miles. Sorry about that (my wife's car has 239K on it with an AT). The clutch also hasn't been slipping that bad recently, so it must have been the hot weather we had that one day last fall, even though I could smell clutch material. So, I'm going to nurse it as long as I can, and probably do it in the early fall.
When the time comes I'd be happy to lend a hand if...,
  1. I happen to be in Michigan visiting my brother at time.
  2. My broken leg is well healed up by then.
  3. The requisite amount of beer and pizza is on hand.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:31 PM

When the time comes I'd be happy to lend a hand if...,
  1. I happen to be in Michigan visiting my brother at time.
  2. My broken leg is well healed up by then.
  3. The requisite amount of beer and pizza is on hand.
If not, maybe we can get together and have a couple of cold ones and BS for a while. In the summer months I usually always have some cold ones around. I'm just outside of Port Huron.

Quick Reply: POST YOUR Mileage