Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Power Window Quick Fix (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/power-window-quick-fix-3365/)

mbo1985 05-30-2006 03:41 PM

Power Window Quick Fix

I've been having problems with my 96 lx 2dr's power windows since I bought the car in 2003. They go down OK but going up is horribly slow, and it recently got to the point where they wouldn't go up at all and the motors where just throwing their breakers. I have been meaning to get new window motors and such, but it's just one of the many things on the list of things to do that just keeps getting overlooked. So anyways, I was looking through my dad's garage 2 weeks ago and found a spray can of a product called liqud rollers and decided to give it a try on my windows.

This product is intended for boat trailers, but I said what the heck and sprayed a good amount on the track (windows down and using the included little red straw) and on the rubber where the window glides on its way up. I then rolled the windows up and let it sit for an hour before repeating. My windows noticibly rolled up easier right away. I waited a week and did it again. So far my windows are rolling up like the never have before.

If you have a marine store around you and want a quick fix, this seems to have worked for me. I'm not really into quick fixes, but for something like the windows this has worked out nicely. Don't know how long it will last, but it's worth a try if your windows were giving you trouble like mine. I would try to keep this product off of your paint and have window cleaner ready to clean any product that gets on the windows if you try this. Just thought I'd share something that's worked for me so far.

sir_nasty 05-30-2006 04:45 PM

RE: Power Window Quick Fix

I've used that same trick before... I just took a cloth and tried to wipe as much gunk out as I could first then use either that liquid roller or you can just get a silicone lubricating spray and that worked great for me.

mbo1985 05-30-2006 04:48 PM

I meant to read the ingredients, but I'm sure it's some kind of silicone spray. I'm just glad to have my power windows back like never before.

malcqv 05-30-2006 05:43 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Never heard of slow power windows on a Honda before but there has to be a first time.

I had similar problem it seems with my power aerial. I have always used WD40 once or twice a month to keep it free. It has been bent slightly on a previous occasion so has never worked well. However about six weeks ago it stopped completely and I assumed the cord had snapped. Honda wanted £40 for a replacement mast.

After washing the car today I used some 3-in-one oil as an alternative to WD40. Whadya know it works again :D

sir_nasty 05-30-2006 07:21 PM

Don't quote me on this but I've heard that WD-40 is a bad thing to use on rubber parts because it dries them out and/or causes excessive wear... That's the only reason I went to the silicone spray since I know it's safe for rubber... but now that I just did some research the WD-40 website states that it is safe for rubber so who knows...

mbo1985 05-30-2006 08:30 PM

I used to use WD-40. It would work great for a day or so and then be worse. Maybe it's the humidity down in florida, who knows.

YeuEmMaiMai 05-31-2006 05:35 PM

all of the 5th gen cars are slow on the windows....i have a '94 LX and the seasons will change before the window finishes rolling up. the '98 and newer cars are a lot better in this regard

sir_nasty 05-31-2006 05:54 PM

since I adjusted my window and cleaned the tracks it works great.... I have a feeling that the silicone spray helped a touch in this aspect since it coats/stays a bit better than WD-40 (in my opinion)... My drivers side stock motor/regulator is faster up/down than my passenger side with a new motor/regulator (Heavy duty lifetime warranty motor)... I'd say adjustment and silicone spray solve everything... well maybe not everything...

19Accord97 11-23-2006 02:18 AM

So to lubricate the tracks you have to take the door panel off im assuming? Mine are going super slow...the cold is taking its toll on them:(

sir_nasty 11-25-2006 08:16 PM

I never pulled my panel to do it, I just hosed it real good and allowed it to run down inside then run the window up and down a few times while spraying it... the tracks inside the door (only like a 6 inch section sticks out down inside anyway) don't typically get to dirty compared to the exterior ones.... clean it and spray it well and that should make a huge difference.