Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Snow and Poorman 2016 version :) (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/snow-poorman-2016-version-62799/)

poorman212 01-17-2016 10:03 AM

Snow and Poorman 2016 version :)

2 Attachment(s)
And I didn't even have time to raid the stores of milk and bread.....what am I going to do now :shrug:

Oh well the beer I left in the car Friday will be cold :)

shipo 01-17-2016 10:38 AM

Love it; "snow". :)

As much as I love it up here in New England, many feet of snow included, my company has hinted they might ask me to transfer to their Greensboro office; kinda-sorta in your neck of the woods. :)

poorman212 01-17-2016 11:07 AM

Yes, Greensboro is not that far away at all.....if it happens we might wake Cam up and see if the three of us could meet up. If it does work out - they offer and you decide to do it, I know that is a hard decision as I had to make that one to end up here - we should try to meet up for lunch or something.

Of course the snow here is nothing - today or about any other day - compared to what you get. But then again since we don't get that much the "budget" to move it off the roads isn't that much :shrug:

It has stopped now and what little did stick to raised surfaces is almost gone now. Oh well it was fun to watch :)

Corvair 01-17-2016 08:42 PM

I had -16 today going to work. I think I'd rather have the cold instead of snow. Get that too over here in Minnesota. MPG's drop about 5-8 mpg when it's this cold. The Accord had a surprising lack of squeaks and rattles at these temps. The electric power steering is unaffected as well.

A week and a half ago I was in Hawaii. I came back. What was I thinking?

shipo 01-18-2016 06:46 AM

Yikes! A 5-8 mpg drop at -16°F in a modern fuel injected car? Hmmm, something doesn't seem kosher, errr, unless lots of your trips are very short. I would say on average my V6 Accord drops from slightly over 30 mpg highway in the summer to ~28 mpg when the temperature is below zero Fahrenheit.

Now, if you're talking a carbureted and air-cooled boxer engine, then I have no problem believing that kind of a drop.

poorman212 01-18-2016 06:53 PM

With warming the car up (only the Chevelle gets the garage)...not really the car but more for the driver :)....and winter blend gas I don't find a ~4 mpg drop very strange in the winter. Just chalk it up to the cold.

At -16, I'd have to work from home or call in sick.

Corvair - what part of Hawaii? I'm going this July, in fact I just finished the room reservations on this place for our stay: Poipu Kapili #55 - The Parrish Collection Kauai

My parents, my brother and his family and us are going for a "family vacation" - we've been trying for a few years and finally got everyone on the same plan. It started out a few years ago as my parents 50th and our 25th wedding "gift" but it took a little longer than we planned :)

My brother and I have never been. My parents go about twice a year so we are going on "their knowledge" of places to stay and that :shrug:

poorman212 01-21-2016 05:41 PM

Now I'm hoping for snow :(

They are talking we might get ice.....depends on who you watch, we might get .25 to .5 inch of ice with wind guests near 30 mph....that stuff ain't fun. Roads a mess, trees fall, power outages.

Oh well, nothing I can do to prevent it. Just try to prepare, did a few things last night and have some more to do tonight - need to get more firewood in the garage, fill up a few jugs since we have well water (no power, no water) and a few other things.

JimBlake 01-22-2016 10:58 AM

Be careful what you hope for. You might get that snow - ON TOP OF the ice. THAT'LL be fun!

poorman212 01-23-2016 06:34 AM

Well, got lucky and missed the ice, we got some but not that much. And to jim's point the snow and sleet covered it up.

The 07 Pilot did pretty good getting me to and from work yesterday. They had not plowed any of the roads when I was out so it was a bit "fun".

I might get the 16 Pilot out today and see how the AWD and "Snow mode" traction control does :shrug:

Corvair 01-23-2016 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 366168)
Yikes! A 5-8 mpg drop at -16°F in a modern fuel injected car? Hmmm, something doesn't seem kosher, errr, unless lots of your trips are very short. I would say on average my V6 Accord drops from slightly over 30 mpg highway in the summer to ~28 mpg when the temperature is below zero Fahrenheit.

Now, if you're talking a carbureted and air-cooled boxer engine, then I have no problem believing that kind of a drop.

The air is denser. Grease in the wheel bearings are thicker, engine oil is thicker. It takes longer to warm up. Heater is working harder. Heat is on high the whole trip with fan never goes below the middle setting. I doubt the thermostat ever opens up. The engine never really heats up all the way, at least it takes longer.

As bad as the Corvair would be in sub zero weather, the mid '70's and early '80 were really bad in sub zero. Often didn't start, and ran poorly when they did.

My trip home is often 5 mpg's less in good weather.

My 2011 Fiesta got about 3 mpg's better in the summer. In the winter the Accord seems to be slightly better than the Fiesta!. The Fiesta dropped more in the winter.