Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   synthetic oil (dealer) (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/synthetic-oil-dealer-13854/)

accord4sroy 11-09-2007 03:52 PM

synthetic oil (dealer)

ok, how many of you honestly think that the dealer uses synthetic oil when they ask you and you agree? or how many of you honestly think the dealer uses synthetic oil when you ask them to?

a little curious here. personally, i feel that they wouldn't put it in even if they ask you and you agree.

thunder_x 11-09-2007 05:09 PM

RE: synthetic oil (dealer)

if you dont trust them, then you should go to a normal mechanic for an oil change and bring your own synthetic oil and oil filter. They will charge you cheaper too.

RTexasF 11-09-2007 08:06 PM

I wouldn't question the dealer I use for one second. Obviously you have no faith in yours so go somewhere else.......we all know you can trust Jiffy Lube [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

smaglik 11-09-2007 08:45 PM

if you think they're screwin you, pull some of the oil and have it analyzed.

nafango2 11-09-2007 11:08 PM

yea and if its not synthetic tell the bbb.

theyll pay way more than you will...

accord4sroy 11-10-2007 12:35 PM

Yeah, I like the bbb idea the best. Yeah, I actually haven't been going to my dealer for the last 2 oil changes because I sometimes like to bring in my oil. I think it was deserthonda or sir nasty that said in the diy section to use Mobil 1. I have used synthetic a few times. You can really feel the difference as far as the engine seems livelier. RTexasF I wouldn't bring my Huffy into Jiffy Lube:D. I have faith in the dealer as they have even used the BG MOA stuff once when they changed my oil as I told them I wanted that put in. However, now the labor rate is higher than before is what I have heard. Major stuff I always recommend going to the dealer, especially on Hondas cause they have a lot of precise components.

nafango2 11-10-2007 07:12 PM

mobil 1 is good, but not that good. In tests it actually performed just OK, not great. One of the highest tested was valvoline full syn, i think its called SynPower or something.

I used the High mileage version of it in my engine once, and it cleaned the dipstick off way better than mobil 1 did. (the last owner wasnt exactly religous about getting regualar oil changes, the dipstick is dark brown)

RTexasF 11-10-2007 08:06 PM

One of the best you can buy currently is Pennzoil Platinum 5W20. It can be had in jug size quite reasonably at Wally Mart. Hard to beat with a quality filter. I may start changing out my M1 a little sooner than usual to slowly get rid of it. Frankly there are no bad oils today, they are light years ahead of where they were just 10 years ago.

HondaRacer4Vtec 11-11-2007 09:51 AM

why do some german cars like benz recomended mobil 1 for there cars?

accord4sroy 11-11-2007 11:30 AM

A lot of European manufacturers are loyal to Mobil 1. RTexasF I agree with you on the oils. 10 years ago you still were changing your oil every 3000 miles. Now you can wait a little longer. The oils last longer and lubricate better. I like M1, but I don't use synthetic in my car. Should I? I have had it in my car a few times, but didn't feel that it was necessary for my car. Also, a lot of people have gotten 200,000, 300,000, 400,000, 500,000 etc. miles with dino oil.