Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   V6 j30 (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/v6-j30-65924/)

Hondaj30 07-11-2018 08:20 PM

V6 j30

What would be the best performance / chip for my 2000 honda accord V6 tnx in advance

shipo 07-11-2018 09:01 PM

Nuthin'; your engine and its computer is very well sorted right from the factory.

Hondaj30 07-11-2018 09:34 PM

J30

Ok so what would be the best way to get more horsepower? With out going turbo or supercharged? I did full exhaust and forced air intake / cold air intake

shipo 07-12-2018 09:03 AM

The short answer, "Not much". As you probably discovered, even the changes you've already made didn't do much for output.

Turbocharging "V" style engines is problematic, so probably a bad (or at least very-VERY expensive) solution. Superchargers were made for these engines years ago but I'm not sure they are still made; even still, if you add the supercharger, every installation I've seen replaced the A/C compressor with the blower.

Other things to keep in mind:
  • It is unlikely your transmission will tolerate any additional power.
  • Probably the best bet for bumping your power is to swap the motor out with either a J32, J35, or J37 engine.
Long story short, if you want a faster car, your best and least expensive solution would be to sell your car and apply the proceeds to something faster.

Hondaj30 07-12-2018 09:18 AM

J30

Has anyone has good advice on making a few extra horsespower without putting a turbo or supercharger or replacing the engine? So far i haven't got any helpful information from this forum!

Hondaj30 07-12-2018 10:26 AM

J30

Has anyone has good advice on making a few extra horsespower without putting a turbo or supercharger or replacing the engine? So far i haven't got any helpful information from this forum!

shipo 07-12-2018 11:50 AM

Nor will you; Hondas and Acuras with J-Series motors are very well sorted right from the factory. Like it or don't, believe it or not, there really isn't much you can do.

Edit: Thinking back; I vaguely remember a few threads from folks who've bought Acura TL or RL heads and intake systems and have managed maybe 20 HP from the higher compression and such. That said, if I was going to go to the trouble of tearing down the top end of the engine, I'd rather replace the entire engine with a larger displacement unit.

The Toecutter 07-14-2018 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 381240)
Nor will you; Hondas and Acuras with J-Series motors are very well sorted right from the factory. Like it or don't, believe it or not, there really isn't much you can do.

Edit: Thinking back; I vaguely remember a few threads from folks who've bought Acura TL or RL heads and intake systems and have managed maybe 20 HP from the higher compression and such. That said, if I was going to go to the trouble of tearing down the top end of the engine, I'd rather replace the entire engine with a larger displacement unit.

Agreed. The biggest limiting factor in a 2000 Accord is the autotragic transmission that came with the V6. Even with a stock motor it's doomed for failure. A J35 or 37 is the way to get what you're looking for, but it'll kill the trans too. Also, there'
s 2 versions of it for V6 cars... the 98-99, and the 2000 thru 2002. It's due to the electronics added over the years.

Note; switching the exhaust system isn't worth anything but maybe a hp or 2 at most. It might sound faster, but it's not. Honda engineered the engines in these car very well. The 4 cylinders were optimized for both economy, and reliability. The V6 was engineered for hp, and reliability, and if you keep your foot out of the throttle it'll give decent mileage.

On 6th gen Accord.org, most of the J30 owners have gone to the J35 with a couple of them going to the J37. ALL of them have also gone to the 6 speed manual transmission for reliability. Heck, even the 4 cylinder guys are swapping to the MT because of it's weakness. And everyone there recommends a trans swap (from AT to MT) before adding a turbo.

Hondaj30 07-14-2018 02:28 PM

J30

Ok what do i need to swap from a j30a1 to a j37 besides motor and transmission ecu and wire harness?

shipo 07-14-2018 02:31 PM

Hey Toecutter, sad to say, but at this point it is pretty clear we are are hot telling Honda30 the things he wants to hear.