Sights n Sounds Post your video clips here!

Sound at the alternator (or somewhere there)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 11:23 AM
Default Sound at the alternator (or somewhere there)

Greetings, first of all, i have little to no knowledge with regards to automative world so i do apologise for this.

I have this issue when the car (accord 2007 model) starts, it begins to vibrate a little (can be felt at the steering wheel, dashboard and pedal which were not there before). The vibration becomes worse when i turn the steering wheel and audible sound gets stronger as I turn the steering wheel to its extremities. However, if i turn of the car and come back later to start the car, the vibration and sound is gone completely. I have no clue what is making the vibration and sound. I would just like to know if anyone has similar problem such as this & can u kindly enlighten me on what is wrong? Many many thanks in advance

I have attached a video but im not sure if its visible in my thread

link to youtube

Last edited by Ignatiuswong94; 05-31-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

How is the fluid level in the Power Steering Reservoir?

Old 05-31-2019, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

I can't tell by the nature of the sound, but the PS pump seems likely.

The biggest thing is to pinpoint the location of the noise. Try a "poor-mans stethoscope" - a scrap piece of garden hose up to your ear & pointed around. Just be real careful about the spinning belt & pulleys.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:12 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I can't tell by the nature of the sound, but the PS pump seems likely.
Even at it worst the power steering pump will not cause the entire car to vibrate. A motor mount is the most likely cause.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

From the sound of this I would surmise you either have a very low fluid level or if it is full and giving off this noise it almost sounds like the bearings are shot in the pulley wheel. It's difficult to determine because you also have the AC on. The vibration you feel is almost impossible to be a result of the power steering pump. Especially if you just started the car and are not driving it. If you were driving at let's say 72 mph and then felt this type of vibration I'd say it was a wheel out of alignment. However you have indicated you just started it up and it vibrates. That would be a loose motor-mount (more than one of, possibly all of them). And yes that symptom will come and go at times.

Last edited by Casper Young; 08-08-2019 at 04:29 AM.