Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/)
-   -   Brake rotor upgrade (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/brake-rotor-upgrade-63670/)

Biffy44 08-07-2016 08:02 AM

Brake rotor upgrade

Hi all.

I want to upgrade all brakes and pads on my 2015 Accord sedan. The car is for normal use only so super-high performance (and super-high $$) is not necessary. I think the stock brakes are horrible!!!! I have only 23K on the vehicle, I am not a hard braker, though I have had to use them hard on a few instance, and now they pulsate almost in all braking situations. I believe this to be the #1 downfall of this Accord.

So I am wanting suggestions on a set of performance brakes/pads and from whom should I purchase? Thanks!

TexasHonda 08-07-2016 07:12 PM

I replaced pads on my 2010 TSX w/ Akebono pads that have good ratings. Someone said they were OEM but I can't confirm. Braking is excellent.

I did not replace rotors, but have not had problems w/ aftermarket rotors (Chinese).

good luck

hondafreak91c 08-10-2016 11:22 PM

For brake pads, your best bet is to stick with OEM brake pads. Being that you do not use them hard often, a higher performance pad will not benefit you in most situations. While it wouldn't hurt to get some, they will put off more brake dust and possibly squeal on occasion. Price wise though, OEM is just about the same as a decent comparable aftermarket option.

The rotors are most likely the cause of your vibration under braking. Under heavy use they can warp and become uneven, which causes the vibration. You can resurface the rotors, but it may be a better idea to just get new rotors. I myself love Centric Premium High Carbon rotors. Another great rotor are Brembo blanks.

Biffy44 08-11-2016 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by hondafreak91c (Post 370801)
For brake pads, your best bet is to stick with OEM brake pads. Being that you do not use them hard often, a higher performance pad will not benefit you in most situations. While it wouldn't hurt to get some, they will put off more brake dust and possibly squeal on occasion. Price wise though, OEM is just about the same as a decent comparable aftermarket option.

The rotors are most likely the cause of your vibration under braking. Under heavy use they can warp and become uneven, which causes the vibration. You can resurface the rotors, but it may be a better idea to just get new rotors. I myself love Centric Premium High Carbon rotors. Another great rotor are Brembo blanks.

Exactly the info/feedback I was looking for, so thanks hondafreak!

Now if you can answer these next few, that will help even more. If I go with the Centric High Carbon, can I use OEM brake pads, where is the best place to purchase them, how many miles should they be good for, and do they have all 4 rotors as direct replacements? Oh, will I have to change any hardware? Thanks again!

JimBlake 08-11-2016 11:16 AM

As long as you get "stock-size" replacement rotors, you can use the OEM brake pads. I've used Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads as OEM replacements on my kids' Civics and been happy with them.

Only if you try to use a larger diameter rotor, that would require the corresponding larger calipers, pads, & larger $$$.

Check this out:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-rotors-27436/

barticus520 08-18-2016 09:05 AM

I have the same issue with my 05 accord. I fixed the issue by using akebono ceramic pads (about 70 a set) and pro-slot slotted rotors but they are expensive, like 90-100 each. They did however last me 6 years without warping.

btw the akebono pads make very little dust so you wont have to wash them very often

Biffy44 09-27-2016 11:40 AM

I have heard that with some performance brakes, they need to get to a higher temperature than OEM brakes to work effectively. If I go with the Centrix High Carbon Rotor and the pad recommended for that rotor by Centrix, does anyone believe I will experience not being able to get them warm enough with normal everyday type driving?

JimBlake 10-03-2016 06:58 PM

I think it's mostly the pad material, not the rotor material. So it depends on exactly what pads are "recommended" by Centrix.