Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/)
-   -   Lowering 2009 Accord PLEASE (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/lowering-2009-accord-please-58508/)

fxjaime 03-10-2014 06:44 PM

Lowering 2009 Accord PLEASE

Hi, I read a couple posts, and still, need help
I want to lower my Car (2009 Sedan V6, stock rims & suspension) about 1 to 1.5 in, so it would look cooler and drive better, I will not like to sacrifice much confort, I do not need adjustable spring or coils, etc, I will not be Racing or going to track.
I have an budget arround $1,000, if I spend less better.

I'm looking at the Eibach Pro kit lowing springs. Thats where i started.

Now the questions:
Do I need to buy the Front ball joint, for Camber Degree adjustments?
Do I need to buy the Rear Camber for Toe control arm?
For it to be aligned, ride comfortably, and don't wear down un even the tires.
I'm looking at eibach Brand.

If i'm doing this , I still have factory (2009; 50,000 Milles) shocks & struts. is it recommended or do I need new ones when I'm Lowering the Car?
i see some pictures of new Shocks and struts with Springs on them, are they like a Kit, instead of buying the Eibach springs by them selves.
What brand and type of shocks and struts, do you recommend for the lowered car ?

I read here about Coilovers, some people recommend it, others not, What are the main differences and to your opinion what is better.

What brands are Good quality for these Items?
What else do i need to know when lowering my car?
how hard is it to install my self, these Items?

Thanks

poorman212 03-25-2014 05:27 PM

Sorry for the long delay. Pretty sure you can skip the ball joint and kits and just go with the springs.

However, they say struts are good for ~80K, so you have to think about that and ease of install. A new set up of springs and struts might save a bit - if they come loaded with strut and srping installed with new mounts.

hondafreak91c 03-27-2014 03:36 PM

Eibach Pro Kit is a good choice for springs. I've used their Sportline springs, and they were excellent quality. Also, H&R, Tein, and Neuspeed make quality springs.

However, when you install lowering springs, it is HIGHLY recommended you replace the shocks. The stock shocks cannot handle the stiffer spring rates of the new springs, and the fact that they are shorter than the OEM ones. This leads to the shocks blowing out much faster, which can cause lots of damage to other suspension components, as well as mess up your alignment and such. I would recommend Koni STR.T, Koni Sport, Tokico Illumina, or KYB AGX shocks to pair with the springs. All of those shocks will be designed to handle lowering springs.

For a minor drop of about 1-1.5in, a camber adjustment kit really shouldn't be needed. As long as you get an alignment after installing the parts (wait about 2 weeks to allow the springs to settle), you will be good. I ran a 2in drop for 2 years without any abnormal tire wear. Its when the alignment is off, in addition to it be lowered, that will kill your tires.

As for as coilovers, I like them because they are height adjustable. You might not want to go lower now, but chances are in the future you might. Coilovers enable you to adjust the car to whatever you want. One thing though, coilovers are generally much stiffer to allow you to go super low with them, and not bottom out.

One exception is Tein. Their coilovers are made to lower some (normally about 2in max), but they also focus on comfort. They are stiffer than stock, which they should be, but not bouncy or harsh at all. My friend had a set, and they were great for daily driving. You can find them on eBay for around $700ish. I'd recommend them.

GSB78 1USS2 TEIN Street Basis coilover Honda Accord 08 | eBay

That will put you under your $1000 budget, which with the leftover money you could get camber kits if you wanted to (wouldn't hurt). Plus you'll get a product from a company that has been in the suspension business for years. And the adjustability is an added benefit.