Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Ball joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Default Ball joint replacement

I'm looking to replace all four ball joints, as the front end has developed a popping sound when the wheel is turned abruptly at low speeds and the right front wheel seems a little loose. The manual says that in order to replace the upper ball joints, the whole control arm needs to be replaced. Is there any way to remove and reinstall the upper ball joints without replacing the entire control arm? Also, would a regular hammer and punch work for installing the new joints, seeing as I don't have air tools?

Old 12-16-2014, 07:03 PM

Are you sure you need upper joints? At least with Corvairs, the uppers almost never wear out unless they never got greased. Honda's could be different. The Corvairs pressed out on the bottom. Used a socket and a bench vise. Tops were actually riveted. See if they sell just the ball joint? Then you will know if it can be done.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Corvair
Are you sure you need upper joints? At least with Corvairs, the uppers almost never wear out unless they never got greased. Honda's could be different. The Corvairs pressed out on the bottom. Used a socket and a bench vise. Tops were actually riveted. See if they sell just the ball joint? Then you will know if it can be done.
They do sell just the ball joints separately. $70-$80 for all four on RockAuto. That leads me to believe that it can be done.

I see you're from southern MN. I grew up there. What part are you from?

Old 12-17-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlackLX4
They do sell just the ball joints separately. $70-$80 for all four on RockAuto. That leads me to believe that it can be done.

I see you're from southern MN. I grew up there. What part are you from?
Owatonna, but don't tell anyone! You know how the internet is! Someone might come and steal my Accord. Isn't it the most stolen car.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Corvair
Owatonna, but don't tell anyone! You know how the internet is! Someone might come and steal my Accord. Isn't it the most stolen car.
Yeah, I've heard that Accords are one of the most frequently stolen cars. I was born in La Crosse, WI and grew up in SE MN. La Crescent-Houston-Rushford area. My family lived in the Brownsville area for a long time before we moved out to the SW part of the state.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by BlackLX4
Yeah, I've heard that Accords are one of the most frequently stolen cars. I was born in La Crosse, WI and grew up in SE MN. La Crescent-Houston-Rushford area. My family lived in the Brownsville area for a long time before we moved out to the SW part of the state.
I grew up in La Crosse too!! I miss the bluffs. Glad it's only a two hour drive to get back to the coulee region.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 AM

No way! Small world.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:20 PM

Hey, so I'm back and looking to do this job sometime in the next couple of weeks. What's the best way to press the ball joint out of the control arm without a ball joint press or other special tool? Also, does the entire hub/spindle/strut assembly have to be removed? I would like to take out as little as possible in order to replace the ball joints.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Just me be replacing the whole upper control arm the the best for the upper ball joints.

For the lower, there are "loaner tools" you can get from some/most parts stores that will help press the old out and new in.....hint, put the new one in the freezer for a few hours before you install.

Now the part I can't remember , can you get it out and in without remvoing the knuckle.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Just me be replacing the whole upper control arm the the best for the upper ball joints.

For the lower, there are "loaner tools" you can get from some/most parts stores that will help press the old out and new in.....hint, put the new one in the freezer for a few hours before you install.

Now the part I can't remember , can you get it out and in without remvoing the knuckle.
The only thing is, I don't have the money to buy two whole new control arms, let alone one. Plus, I already have the new upper joints. So if you can get just the joint, isn't there a way to get it out of the UCA?

Quick Reply: Ball joint replacement