Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/)
-   -   New Accord Wobbles intermittently (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/new-accord-wobbles-intermittently-59319/)

anirudhagarwal 06-12-2014 10:53 AM

New Accord Wobbles intermittently

Hi,
We bought a Honda Accord LX in October 2012. In the first month, we noticed it's heating takes way longer than our 2005 Accord and that sometimes at speeds higher than 40 mph it wobbles. We went to the dealer (sales person), he said heating is like that in all accords from 2012 models and he could not feel wobbling. Since it was intermittent, we thought may be it was because of the road. But we did feel it on several occasions since then. Last week we took it to the dealer's service department for oil change. After oil change the mechanic also felt wobbling, he tried to tighten the bolts on wheels but mentioned they were already tight and that we should get it inspected. The service advisor then said wobbling could be because of flat spots on the tyres since the car is driven only 14000 miles in 20 months (less than average mileage in US). He said the probable cause could only be balancing, alignment or suspension. We left the car for check up. Next day they returned and said they could not find any defect after driving several times and inspecting front suspension. I am concerned if it could be something bigger and that why they did not check rear suspension. Any suggestions?

JimBlake 06-12-2014 11:47 AM

Wobbling is more likely balance rather than alignment.

But try to find a place with a Hunter GSP-9700 "Road-Force" balancing machine. That presses the tire against a drum while balancing, to simulate the tire pressing down against the road. That's supposed to show problems with the tire-casing itself (broken belts, etc).

Presumably they looked carefully for loose components like balljoints. Why didn't they check the rear - good question?

TexasHonda 06-12-2014 11:51 AM

Wobbles can be caused by out-of-round (OOR) tires and may occasionally seem worse when OOR tires align for maximum lift/drop. It is usually noticeable at slow speeds on very smooth roads. It may be worse when car has not been driven (flat spots due to sitting).

In my experience, only way to spot an OOR tire is to mount on balancing machine and rotate while observing outside of tire. You can see a flat spot during rotation.

Wobbles at high speed are less likely since centrifugal force "rounds' the tire.

Poor alignment in caster might also cause a wobble. Has an alignment been performed?

good luck

anirudhagarwal 06-12-2014 12:35 PM

Thank you all for reply. This has been happening since the car was new. So I assumed it was balanced and aligned. The oil change mechanic noticed it when he took the car out and was taking it for wash next door within the dealership.
I am thinking of writing to Honda company. Do you think they would instruct the dealer to check all that has been mentioned in your replies?

Thanks,
Anirudh

TexasHonda 06-12-2014 01:42 PM

I agree the car is likely aligned correctly and OOR tires are prime suspect. It might cost a few bucks to have a good shop spin the tires and determine whether one or more are OOR.

If you're dissatisfied w/ response of your local Honda shop, I would complain to their management first, and if no satisfaction, then go to Honda Customer Service (should be in your documents).

good luck

glperez 06-30-2014 03:33 PM

My wife that same problem and it turned out that one of the rims was bent in the inside. Took back to the dealership and they tried to sell us a new wheele after arguing for an hour and getting the general manager we got it taken care of