Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/)
-   -   New guy here! looking for some advice (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/new-guy-here-looking-some-advice-54089/)

sidthekid 04-06-2013 11:01 PM

New guy here! looking for some advice

Hello, I just joined HAF and I was looking for some advice on getting my tie rods changed. Now I know it has major safety concerns if not aligned properly. Can you mark the thread and get away with it? Do you need more than basic equipment? Or should I start off with an easier project and let the mechanic take this one? I dont have much experience however I'm currently learning to become an aircraft maintenance engineer and half way through my course.

WheelBrokerAng 04-07-2013 12:40 AM

1St Things 1St..

2 Attachment(s)
I 1st moved you to the suspension thread where the post most likely will get answered..:eek:

2nd thing...Welcome to the HAF newbie.. :D

3rd thing..what is the year, make model,engine size and how many doors does your car have.?

WheelBrokerAng :)

poorman212 04-07-2013 12:08 PM

Generally changing the outer tie rods is not that hard. Since you are changing them, the options on getting the old one from the knuckle are greater.....don't have to worry about damage to the tie rod :)

Yes, mark and measure the thread turns on the old one as you remove it. This will get you "close" when you install the new one(s). Highly suggest getting the alignment checked after.....if you got it close to right then no need for an alignment. A few places will check the alignment for free.

JimBlake 04-07-2013 09:00 PM

If you take some care to mark it, you should be close. I'd get an alignment, especially if it has been awhile.

But I wouldn't call it a "major safety concern" - more like a tire-wear concern.

sidthekid 04-08-2013 10:11 AM

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time and replying. Its a 93 honda accord EX 4 door v4. I think I'm going to go through with this and replace them next week. I'll be sure to get an alignment check afterwards! Much appreciated.

sidthekid 04-08-2013 12:46 PM

Hey guys so the reason I was going to change my tie rods is because thats what the mechanic said was causing the clicking noise when I turned. Talked around and some of the guys said it was the drive shaft/cv joint not tie rod.

JimBlake 04-08-2013 09:00 PM

OK, maybe the axles are causing the noise. We should back up & diagnose the noise.

Can you make the noise by steering without moving the car? Does the car have to be moving? Can you make the noise by doing XXX ??

sidthekid 04-13-2013 11:15 PM

hey, sorry it took me a while to reply. the clicking is definitely coming from near the front axles/tires. it clicks at slower speed when i turn left or right and has to be moving. its definitely more apparent in slower turns but at times it clicks during 40ish km/h turns.