Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/)
-   -   Polyurethane bushing kit question??? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/polyurethane-bushing-kit-question-12573/)

rtmobile96 09-17-2007 12:20 AM

Polyurethane bushing kit question???

So all my factory rubber bushings are shot. I'm thinking of putting a poly. kit in. Who sells the best all around kit for the right price? The only brands I know about are Energy Suspension and Prothane. Any tips or feedback would be great. Thanks.

s20700134 09-17-2007 02:24 AM

RE: Polyurethane bushing kit question???

My experience with TASauto has always been good.

BlkCurrantKord 09-17-2007 04:20 AM

summit racing sells them as well

y9pema 09-17-2007 09:37 AM

wherever you get them from do it! i just had mine done. Unbelievable, you will notice the difference immediately.

sir_nasty 09-17-2007 10:47 AM

Energy suspension would be me recommendation. Check out TASAuto parts as mentioned.

Velocifero 09-17-2007 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Energy suspension would be me recommendation. Check out TASAuto parts as mentioned.
^^word, i got mine off this site here. another friend who has them recommended that site to me. came out to like $108 shipped for the master kit. i dunno about TAS, but on here you have the option of getting the black versions at no extra charge. the black ones are graphite impregnated for self-lubrication. i would still grease most of them, but it will keep the squeaking away much longer than normal. i just got my kit 2 days ago from them. ive only installed the sway bar end links so far (theyre the easiest). i cant wait to change the rest.

rtmobile96 09-18-2007 03:37 AM

Good deal, thanks for all the feedback. The site Velocifero gave me has them at a damn good price. I thought I was ganna pay closer to $200 for a set. Now as far as install goes, is this a job I can do in the garage with normal tools, or do some of them need to be pressed out and back in by a shop? And I've never done any kind of bushings before, is there instructions?

sir_nasty 09-18-2007 01:35 PM

In the kits I've seen (which wasn't for an accord...) SOME of the old bushings had to be pushed out/removed but the new ones were split so that they went back in without a press. As for difficulty most of them are fairly easy, a few of them (on the shocks and such) may require a bit more work

falkore24 09-18-2007 04:02 PM

A friend of mine just did bushings on an EP3 Civic SI. I know it's a much different car, but all of his bushings were torched out, casings carefully split and removed and most of the bushings were pressed in with a hydraulic press. I think that there was 1 set of bushings that were split. If you don't know what you are doing, this isn't a novice level DIY.

rtmobile96 09-19-2007 03:42 AM

I wouldn't say I'm a novice level, but doing bushings would be something new. I can use either the manual or hydrolic press at my work if I need it. As far as instructions go, I more or less am hopeing it will tell me which bushing goes where. If I don't feel comfortable doing it, I won't. I've already learned that leason. Thanks for the info., hopefully I'll be able to order the kit sometime soon.

falkore24 09-19-2007 09:30 AM

I think the energy suspension kit tells you what they give you, but not where it goes. My friend's was missing the grease also, which I hear is common. If you don't get enough grease in there or mess with it too much and push the grease off of an area, the car will creak until you get new bushings installed. It's not a complicated process, but not easy by any means. Also, if you are not careful when splitting the press-fit outter housing of the stock bushings, you can screw up the major suspension parts (ie-control arms). My friend that did this on another friend's EP3 is a master machinist and can pour custom bushings if needed. If you do it yourself, good luck! ..... I wouldn't (can't since nobody makes them for my car).

sUbLiMe96 09-19-2007 09:41 AM

Both Brands You mentioned.Are recommended by me also. The majority of mine are Energy S. with the exception of the rear motor mount bushing which is Prothane brand. You will Def. feel the difference!!!
Good Luck with the motor bushings though,,,they were a pain in the A**...

falkore24 09-19-2007 10:35 AM

I think he's talking about suspension bushings. For the engine and tranny, I'd leave the rubber bushings or replace OEM if needed. Poly on the engine and tranny mounts will only make the cabin shake at idle. If you want to stabilize the engine under load, get an engine damper.

rtmobile96 09-20-2007 02:58 AM

So if I do decide, when ever I get the set, not to do the install myslef, where should I take it to get done and how much cash can I expect to drop on it?

falkore24 09-20-2007 08:34 AM

I'd expect a sigle mechanic for a full day at whatever rate your guy charges. 8 hrs * $60 = $480, so around $500?!?

Most suspension mechanics can do it. Definately performace mechanics can, but cost more. General mechanics will be hit-or-miss and a lot won't want that job.

rtmobile96 09-21-2007 03:15 AM

Wow, $500 bucks isa lot of cash. Especially if what their installing only costs me around $100. But I guess that's what you pay to not screw up your own ride. So I do work with with some pretty amazing industrial mechanics, their not auto mechanics, but I don't doubt their skills by any means. I guess I'll have to figure all that out when I get the kit. Thanks for all the info.

Velocifero 09-22-2007 01:23 AM

ORIGINAL: rtmobile96

Wow, $500 bucks isa lot of cash. Especially if what their installing only costs me around $100. But I guess that's what you pay to not screw up your own ride. So I do work with with some pretty amazing industrial mechanics, their not auto mechanics, but I don't doubt their skills by any means. I guess I'll have to figure all that out when I get the kit. Thanks for all the info.
how can you screw up? im doing everything myself. its a learning experience. dont know much about suspension? you will after this. just a basic tool knowledge and a Honda Maintenance PDF and youre set! when it comes to the ones that need "pressing" ill have to take them to a shop most likely.

rtmobile96 09-22-2007 04:16 AM

I guess I just trip about screwin' somethin' up while pressing the bushings out and back in. But I do work with some guys that could help me out. I just don't wanna wreck shop on anything on my car. I'll have to see when I get the kit. Thanks for the link, and also, nice ride. It looks clean.

falkore24 09-24-2007 10:52 AM

If you plan to torch the old bushings out, have a fire extinguisher handy and a nice fire-proof blanket to cover the car and inner wheel well. Also be careful to not turn your car black with soot from the burning rubber. A mask is also a good idea.

rtmobile96 09-25-2007 03:25 AM

Yeah, I hadn't thought about burning them out. I'll probably have everything pressed that needs to be. Flame on sounds fun, but messy. It could be a little bit before I get the kit, but I'll let you guys know how it goes when I do.

falkore24 09-25-2007 08:24 AM

It was acutally a fairly easy removal with the map gas torch. Then there's the delicate removal of the bushing shells ..... we ground them with a mini belt sander and split with a hack saw blade. I'm not sure how they press out, but I guess they were pressed in!