Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/)
-   -   Recommendation for Accord 07 Struts replacement (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/recommendation-accord-07-struts-replacement-50227/)

pai06 09-15-2012 08:25 PM

Recommendation for Accord 07 Struts replacement

Hi,

I just went back from Mavis Discount Tire shop to change 4-tires on my Accord 07 SE and they said left rear strut got damaged (I'm newbie so no idea what kind of damage they talked about) and made old wheel outside threads gone and suggested me to change 4 struts (Monroe brand) with about $800 + tax as soon as possible. They said to change struts at honda dealer the price could be douple.

They said the struts should be replaced every 50K. My mileage right now is 96K and I never have struts replaced before. I had no idea on that time about Monroe product and price if it's good quality and reasonable price.
I got back home and researched from this site and many recommend KYB coz it's good and reasonable price.

My driving behavior is pretty much on highway, with fair local road.

What you think about this replacement and any recommendation?

Thanks so much and appreciated any recommendation or advice.

Uryupin 11-05-2012 07:07 PM

Well if you are going to replace those struts or shock absorbers, I would suggest you to buy Honda original ones. Also it looks like that stillership is trying to take advantage of you because as I understand from your words, they don't tell you what the exact problem is. Another thing is that do they tell you to replace the whole assembly including springs or they just talking about the shock absorber unit that goes inside of the spring?
The easy way to check your shocks is just try to push the car down with
your body wight, then let it go and see if your car keeps shaking up and down. That would indicate that shock on this wheal is bad. From another hand if it bounces right back and not shaking then it is good. Check all four wheels.

If you really need to replace shocks, I doubt that you would want a new springs. It's more likely that the absorber unit went bad. Getting it out of the spring would be a pain in the butt because it is dangerous and you have to have a special tool to do it if you don't want to pay to someone who will do it for you. If you wanna do it yourself then there should be a couple vidios on youtube on how to replace shocks on Hondas, but be very carefull, more likely the spring will shoot out and it might cause an injury.

Also I want to mention that Honda is not Buick or Chevy or any other soft grandma's style cars.:D Honda has solid suspension which gives you significantly better steering and handing on the road.

If you have any questions, please ask.;)

Check out those stock shocks here:

Front shock absorber:
FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER. Fits: 2007 Honda Accord | Sons Honda

Rear shock absorber:
REAR SHOCK ABSORBER. Fits: 2007 Honda Accord | Sons Honda

JimBlake 11-06-2012 06:48 AM

Outside of this post being a little bit old...
Lots of people have found strut assemblies (shock & spring all together) for just about the same price as the shock alone. Seems strange, but you'll see when shopping for them.