Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/)
-   -   Squicking non-metal noise from front passenger suspension (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/squicking-non-metal-noise-front-passenger-suspension-51310/)

RBG 11-09-2012 12:47 PM

Squicking non-metal noise from front passenger suspension

Hello there

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what might be causing this noise:

About a month ago I started hearing a clancking noise from my right front suspension. When I looked under the fender I noticed that the shock absorber was leaking/wet. I concluded that the shock went bad and ordered a new one from Tire Rack - KYB GR-2/Excel-G Shock, and had my friend who is a mechanic replace it.

After he had replaced it, I started hearing a different noice, more like squicking clanking noise. When I brough the car back to my friend, he concluded the noise was being caused by a cracked bushing in the lower control arm. He ordered a OME control arm from Honda and installed it.

The noise disappeared, but after a couple of days, a noise, slightly softer but still squicking came back. The noise was only occuring when I would apply breakes and just before the car comes to a full stop.

After showing the car to my friend again, he had no other suggestions other than doing an allignment. I haven't done the allignment yet, as someone else told me that replacing a shock and control arm does not necessitate doing an allignment. By the way, I had done an allignment just two months before by shock went bad. So I'm assuming it's still fine.

Now, not having a sensible solution in mind, I reached out to another friend, how is a mechanic at a BMW dealership, and is quite qualified. To assess where the noise was coming from, he jacked up the right side, removed the right front tire, and had me put the car into drive. While in drive, he had me push the breakes to slow down the rotation of the rotor. The noise became more pronounced, and sounded more like metal on metal noise. He concluded this was cause by the axle. His explanation was that when the other mechanic was replacing the shock and/or the control arm, he may have pulled the axle and some sort of bearing fell apart, and that what was causing the noise.

With that, he replaced the axle - but S.O.B noise came back after driving for just about a few miles.

What the hell might this noise be, and what is causing it?

Sorry for the long winded details but I thought going through each step might help someone zoom in on the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

poorman212 11-09-2012 05:30 PM

Noises are hard on the internet....Are we sure this is not from the pads? Cost, a can of brake clean. Pop the caliper and pads off, a good bath in the brake cleaner for the caliper. Re-install.

Waht year is the car?

RBG 11-09-2012 09:49 PM

Definetly not pads. Already checked. Besides, the noise is very unlike pads noise. I thought it was calipers but the mechanics didn't find anything wrong with them. I'm thinking maybe the shock bushings or some other bushings, becuase the noise more rubber like - not metal or pad-like.

RBG 11-10-2012 07:31 PM

This is 04 Accord LX V6 4 dr.