Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/)
-   -   Upgrading to new suspension (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/suspension-14/upgrading-new-suspension-53565/)

jonni3_101 03-13-2013 02:03 AM

Upgrading to new suspension

hey guys, this is my first post but I must say that this is a great forum!
I want some help on finding some new struts and coilovers for my 96 honda accord ex but I dont know where to get them without it costing me an arm and a leg lol any recommendations? an is it possible just to install new coil overs onto the stock struts? and is it difficult to do? (sorry for asking so many questions haha) any help would be greatly appreciated!

hondafreak91c 03-13-2013 06:54 PM

My viewpoint on suspension is Do it once, do it right. Better to buy one quality suspension setup, than have to buy more than one over the course of ownership.

Let me start by answering your last question......you can install coilover sleeves on your stock struts, but it is probably the worst thing you could do. By installing the the sleeves on your used, worn stock shocks, your are putting more stress on them then they are meant to handle( say if you are dropped 2 inches, the shock will constantly be compressed 2 inches. and when you hit a bump, they will compress more than they are designed to). They will blow with in the first few months, guaranteed.

For a quality suspension setup, you gotta be prepared to spend $500 minimum.....doesn't matter if its spring/shocks, coilover sleeve/shocks, or full coilovers. For good brands, that's what you'll have to pay.

If I were you, based on what you want, I would recommend getting Function&Form Type 1 coilovers. For $600 shipped to your door, you get one of the best bang-for-your-buck setups. Its a 1-piece shock body threaded coilover, meaning that now matter what height your car is at, the shock will not be compressed more or less. So you get the same ride quality with a 1" drop that you get with a 3" drop. For the price, they ride pretty well too. Stiff, but not bouncy.

Just search Ebay for "Function Form Honda Accord" and find a set that's for '90-'97 Accords (they have the exact same suspension).

jonni3_101 03-14-2013 05:50 PM

ebay

Originally Posted by hondafreak91c (Post 314574)
My viewpoint on suspension is Do it once, do it right. Better to buy one quality suspension setup, than have to buy more than one over the course of ownership.

Let me start by answering your last question......you can install coilover sleeves on your stock struts, but it is probably the worst thing you could do. By installing the the sleeves on your used, worn stock shocks, your are putting more stress on them then they are meant to handle( say if you are dropped 2 inches, the shock will constantly be compressed 2 inches. and when you hit a bump, they will compress more than they are designed to). They will blow with in the first few months, guaranteed.

For a quality suspension setup, you gotta be prepared to spend $500 minimum.....doesn't matter if its spring/shocks, coilover sleeve/shocks, or full coilovers. For good brands, that's what you'll have to pay.

If I were you, based on what you want, I would recommend getting Function&Form Type 1 coilovers. For $600 shipped to your door, you get one of the best bang-for-your-buck setups. Its a 1-piece shock body threaded coilover, meaning that now matter what height your car is at, the shock will not be compressed more or less. So you get the same ride quality with a 1" drop that you get with a 3" drop. For the price, they ride pretty well too. Stiff, but not bouncy.

Just search Ebay for "Function Form Honda Accord" and find a set that's for '90-'97 Accords (they have the exact same suspension).

Thanks for your help! is ebay a trustworthy website for autoparts?
and if so do you think it would be a good idea to get a catback exhaust on ebay or do you know any other websites for that? i want one that doesnt make to much noise I want it more for performance how do I know how to get one that doesnt make so much noise?

hondafreak91c 03-19-2013 02:26 AM

eBay is fine to purchase parts on. Just make sure its a a high-rated seller, that has a good amount of reputation points.

I would not buy a no name exhaust off eBay. If you find a name brand exhaust you like, then there is no reason not to buy i there.

I would recommend getting an Apexi WS2, or a Magnaflow. Both sound great and aren't too loud. With Magnaflow, if you don't want the style exhaust that they make for the Accord, you can actually buy a different one, and take it to an exhaust shop and have them bend and weld up a catback. Would probably come out to about the same price or a bit cheaper than the full Magnaflow one.

shipo 03-19-2013 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by jonni3_101 (Post 314684)
i want one that doesnt make to much noise I want it more for performance how do I know how to get one that doesnt make so much noise?

Keep in mind that an aftermarket exhaust will make more noise and will NOT do much if anything for the performance of your car.

BELied 03-26-2013 11:41 AM

Here's mine on F&F Type1. Ride quality is surprisingly good for the drop. http://www.flickr.com/photos/8955341...n/photostream/