Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

best tires for stock wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Default RE: best tires for stock wheels?

Falken Ziex 329? I have two of these on my CB7 and really don't like them at all. The sidewalls are very very soft, only a single ply sidewall where most tyres have at least two sidewall plies. In order to get them to behave acceptably I've had to put 45psi in them, and even then the sidewalls still feel soft (grip is reasonable though). Because of the soft sidewalls they develop very large slip angles very easily, so much so that at more 'normal' psi they feel quite underinflated, and even when at 45psi they feel a little 'soggy'.

Even at 45psi, when fitted to the front they have very poor steering response, and when fitted to the rear cause an unpleasant sort of overtseer that builds very quickly after turn-in but then stabilises. You can actually feel the sidewalls flop sideways then stop as sidewall tension reaches a certain point. You might think this sounds as if it might be a good thing to counteract some understeer, but take it from it's not a nice characteristic.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: figherace66

what are the widest tires i can fit on the stock 98 alloys?
What is the rim width? If it's 5.5J then I'll bet the standard tyre width is 195, which is already on the wide side of what is acceptable on a 5.5" rim (I think 195 tyres are typically recommended up to about 7J rims, not sure offhand). Personally, if it's a 5.5" rim I wouldn't go any wider than the standard tyre size, because you'll lose steering response (though the ride will get softer).

The more you angle the sidewalls out toward the rim (narrower tread / wider rim)the stiffer the sidewalls will get (in effect), and the better the response will tend to become. On the other hand the more you angle the sidewalls inward toward the rim the softer the sidewalls will effectively become and typically the poorer the response. If you want response then you should fit the tyres to the widest rims the tyre manufacturer recommends for that tyre, but no wider.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnL

Falken Ziex 329? I have two of these on my CB7 and really don't like them at all. The sidewalls are very very soft, only a single ply sidewall where most tyres have at least two sidewall plies. In order to get them to behave acceptably I've had to put 45psi in them, and even then the sidewalls still feel soft (grip is reasonable though). Because of the soft sidewalls they develop very large slip angles very easily, so much so that at more 'normal' psi they feel quite underinflated, and even when at 45psi they feel a little 'soggy'.

Even at 45psi, when fitted to the front they have very poor steering response, and when fitted to the rear cause an unpleasant sort of overtseer that builds very quickly after turn-in but then stabilises. You can actually feel the sidewalls flop sideways then stop as sidewall tension reaches a certain point. You might think this sounds as if it might be a good thing to counteract some understeer, but take it from it's not a nice characteristic.
the 512

Old 12-24-2007, 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: darkshadow707
the 512
They must be 183 better than the 329!