Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-15/)
-   -   Dont know anything about rims. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-15/dont-know-anything-about-rims-6626/)

19Accord97 12-24-2006 05:11 PM

Dont know anything about rims.

As you can tell, from the title I dont know much about tires or rims, and what exactly mine are on my 97. They are 15's. I was just wondering if someone could give me a quick info bout it all! And what about brands? What are good and bad? Are rims from Sears okay? Im a noob in this department! Also would 17's look ok w/o my car being dropped and how much would tires cost? Thanks:)

poser_pilot6 12-24-2006 05:51 PM

RE: Dont know anything about rims.

Im sure Angelo will have much to say on this subject lol. I'll tell you this, I have 17s on my car with 225/45/17 tires, and my car isnt lowered. I think it looks alright, but it would look better if my car was dropped about an inch, inch and a half. My tires cost... I wanna say about $500 for a set of four, and to be honest, I dont remember the brand and its too cold for me to go running outside lol. They arent Kuhmo or Toyo or anything big name like that, I almost want to say they are Fuzion??

As for rims, I dont know. There are a lot of big name brands like Axis, Buddy Club, Work Wheels, stuff like that, but those are expensive. If you arent going to be road racing or anything, just find a style you like and you should be alright going with a moderately priced set of rims.

02BlueAccord 12-24-2006 11:55 PM

ya i think 17's would look the best cuz on some cars 18in rims look like to much rim for the car but thats just me. i have the same as poser pilot with the 225/45/17. i have yokohamas on my car. and as performance rims there is enkei, konig, voxx, bsa and alot more. some tire brand that r good are yokohama, kumho, nitto and so on. its all a preferance on wut rims u like and what style of tires u like.

WheelBrokerAng 12-25-2006 03:27 AM

I of course agree with my man poser here, he's got it down pretty good here about size and fitment..prices are so variable that it's tough to say what you can pay..for instance ..some one with the initials WBA;) could sell you a set of ..say 16x7 or 17x7 inch rims in white for say $400 shipped to your kitchen if he was PM'd, but he wouldn't handle tires cause it's best to buy them where you live at and have them installed and then have your car alignend at that tire store...Remember those initals WBA ;)
Wheel Broker Ang ;)
Like these maybe? or silver!

[IMG]local://upfiles/22/F559A74ADF134BEC8FB078C72E09FA77.jpg[/IMG]

19Accord97 12-25-2006 11:51 PM

So WBA, what about the wheels in magazines that are shipped with the tire and are already balanced. Are those ok? And if I get new rims do I have to get my tires aligned? If so, how much are those usually? Also, the rim pictured, is that the one you are talking about? Im more looking into glossy black ones with a polished/chrome lip.

poser_pilot6 12-26-2006 12:55 AM

Yes, when you get your new wheels and tires, you will need to get them aligned. Im not positive on the price for that, but Im thinking probably anywhere from $50-200, there are different kinds of alignment. A call to your local tire shop will get you all the info you need.

19Accord97 12-26-2006 02:20 AM

Sorry i'm such a noob at this. I tried using the tire calculators in the sticky, but if I were to upgrade to 17's what would the difference of my speedo speed and actual speed be? I've also heard alot about bent wheels, is this from running over curbs mainly, or because the rim was cheap and some1 ran over a small pothole? What about the weight of the wheel? How much does the stock one weigh, and if the new rims are heavier should I upgrade the brakes? And will the heavier rims wear out anything faster, other than the pads?
Here is my main focus:
I want cheap rims that look good with cheap tires. What I dont want is to buy the rims + tires and then have to get them fixed because of bends or this or that and sink more money into them. I dont race, and I try to avoid major holes.

poser_pilot6 12-26-2006 11:10 AM

Okay. With my 17s and 225/45/17s, my speedo is like 2 mph fast at 60mph. Really not a big deal at all. As long as you keep your overall diameter close to the same as stock, you wont have much change in your speedo.

Bent wheels usually come from hitting a big pot hole at a high rate of speed. If you dodge pot holes and slow down when you are driving on rough roads, you will be fine. Just dont try to drive up over curbs or anything like that.

Im not sure about the weight of a stock wheel, but with my wheels I have never had a problem braking. Granted, they have been on the car since I bought it, so it may have braked a hundred times better when it had stock wheels, I dont know. But I still run stock brakes, you should be able to also.

Dont worry about asking questions, dude. Everyone is a noob at some point :D

sir_nasty 12-26-2006 07:03 PM

If you were to go over a 17 then bent rims would be more of a concern but 17 is safe in my opinion.... Here's why: when you get into stock diameter with 18 or 19 inch rims you wind up with VERY little tire surrounding the rim, now your ride becomes a bit more stiff, you feel a few more bumps, and there is less protection for your rims so more of the shock from hitting something is going to be transfered to your rim and risk bending it.... My personal opinion would be to find out who that guy with the initials WBA is like Wheel Broke Ang said. $400.00 for a set of rims shipped to your door is a good deal. Then buy the tires from a local shop and a lot of them will throw in free stuff (like mount/balance etc) and if they don't mention it then start asking questions about how much different things are and try to get them to include it.... Mount and balance should be included, a good shop will give you a discount or include an alignment if you need it.... good questions to ask before buying tires....

02BlueAccord 12-27-2006 12:31 AM

u can always check ebay. i bought my 17 in BSA rims from there. like wut u want. the gloss black with the chrome lip. and like everyone said go to ur local tire store for ur tires.