Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Tire pressure light (!) flashing

Old 10-10-2018, 04:22 AM
Default Tire pressure light (!) flashing

Good morning, I have had this continuous problem with my 2017 honda accord. I test drove it and no light was on, the used car poace had to detail it, then next day or so I picked it up after they detailed it and they also replaced one tire which I knew they were going to because the tire was bad. The tire was replaced with the original size that the vehicle calls for so it isn’t a different size or anything. When I was close to home, which was after driving for about 40 minutes or so, the light came on flashing then stayed on. Back and forth with them and then my local honda dealer the only thing they could tell me was ‘it is because you have one new tire’ I called Honda directly, theyvc said - which they citied in the owners manual- if the light is flashing it’s a malfunction, which I knew. I worked at Toyota for 5 years and I never had anything like this with a Toyota or any Toyota I owned, I’m reaching out because maybe Honda is different but usually a flashing light is universal. I went to the Honda dealership 4 times already, when I call today, it will be my fifth each time they just reset the light using the button or through the radio. Had anyone has this problem before? 2017 Honda accors with 25,000 miles on it. Shouldn’t have any issues. Thank you.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

I think the tire pressure system works on rolling speed, so there aren't actual sensors in the wheels. Is the new tire the same kind or simply the same size?
Still, that should lead to a message about the pressure being wrong, not a warning about a malfunction.

Who's got a newer Accord with that system & knows how it works?

Old 10-10-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I think the tire pressure system works on rolling speed, so there aren't actual sensors in the wheels. Is the new tire the same kind or simply the same size?
Still, that should lead to a message about the pressure being wrong, not a warning about a malfunction.

Who's got a newer Accord with that system & knows how it works?
yeah it uses the wheel bearing, from what they said but being as it is flashing, something is wrong. Different brand tire but same size. I called a few times to the dealership and got no answer, but I would like to see if anyone on this site works at a Honda dealership or maybe at least knows because they had this problem.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Can the car display the tire pressures? Or is it simply a warning?

If you can display the pressures, how do they compare against checking the tires with an actual tire gauge?

Old 10-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The newer vehicle sensors are real sensitive. 1st check all tires and make sure they are set at 32lbs. Then recalibrate sensors in your vehicle settings. If it does come back on then your sensor has been damaged and needs to be replaced. Remember if you go over a pot hole or hard bump that will/could trigger the light because again they are sensitive sensors.

If the light flashes it means flat tire. If it stays solid problem with the system.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 10-10-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Can the car display the tire pressures? Or is it simply a warning?

If you can display the pressures, how do they compare against checking the tires with an actual tire gauge?
it does not display tire pressures. It just flashes for a bit than stays on and every time I start the car it flashes for a bit than stays solid.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
The newer vehicle sensors are real sensitive. 1st check all tires and make sure they are set at 32lbs. Then recalibrate sensors in your vehicle settings. If it does come back on then your sensor has been damaged and needs to be replaced. Remember if you go over a pot hole or hard bump that will/could trigger the light because again they are sensitive sensors.

If the light flashes it means flat tire. If it stays solid problem with the system.
I did set the tire pressure and than recalibrated them and after driving a bit it comes back, flashes for a little bit then stays solid and happens everytime the vehicle is started. From my understanding, there is no physical sensor in the tire but I’m not 100% on that, on Toyotas they had a physical sensor but they said at the Honda dealership there isn’t a physical sensor but again I don’t know for sure. I’ve never since I’ve had the vehicle hit any curbs or potholes of any sort, roads are pretty good here in Florida.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:22 PM

What tire did they put on the car. Read document. Pay attention to the last 2 paragraph.

17 Accord TPMS

Also if you have a metal stem then you have a physical sensor at each wheel.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 10-10-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:36 PM

You should have rubber valve stems. This means you have indirect TPMS. The part you should be looking at is you ABS/VSA sensor at the tire that was changed. Make sure it was not discontinued or cut somehow. If you not see anything out the ordinary I would try cleaning it first then replace if problem persist. I can't see why a certain tire would interfere with the ABS sensor.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
You should have rubber valve stems. This means you have indirect TPMS. The part you should be looking at is you ABS/VSA sensor at the tire that was changed. Make sure it was not discontinued or cut somehow. If you not see anything out the ordinary I would try cleaning it first then replace if problem persist. I can't see why a certain tire would interfere with the ABS sensor.
yeah the dealership had given me a copy of the link you posted, like I said just hard to believe that if it uses the wheel bearing for pressure that one new tire will cause it to flash, I suppose it’s possible. They are rubber valve stems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire pressure light (!) flashing