Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

New tires...General altimax hp vs. continental contiextremecontact??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:29 PM
sjm5104
Unregistered
Exclamation New tires...General altimax hp vs. continental contiextremecontact??

Hey guys, Im driving a 2005 hybrid accord which I just bought used. Its got about 55,000 miles on it and I am in desperate need of new shoes. So ive always had a truck and this is my first "car" so I dont really know too much about car tires. I am looking for a tire that is a good all season tire but can still handle some spirited driving as well. I go to school at penn state so I need a tire that can perform in the snow. Ive narrow my search down to The general altimax hp and the continental contiextremecontact.....anyone have experience with either of these and which would you choose if you were me??

also they are 215/60/r16

thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'd go with the Continentals over the General's, but that's just my opinion. The Tire Rack should have customer reviews of both.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 PM
sjm5104
Unregistered

why would you make that choice?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Altimax has better ratings on TireRack, but it's in a different class altogether.
Altimax HP = GT all-season
ExtremeContact = ultra-high-performance all-season

I suspect the customer ratings are based on a whole different type of customer with different expectations for the tire. I never had those Generals, but I had Conti ExtremeContact tires on an Integra and I wouldn't count on them being very good in the snow. That "all-season" label just means the rubber compound won't turn hard & slippery at 32F. It doesn't mean too much about actual traction in real snow.

ps... personally I'm a big fan of REAL snow tires, so I've only ever used my normal tires in a light dusting in late fall or early spring.

Last edited by JimBlake; 04-28-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 AM
sjm5104
Unregistered

I was thinking the exact same thing about the rating....I also was thinking the conti is high performance all terrain and its roughly the same price.....I think im going to go with the generals just because im not sure I need an ultra high performance tire on a hybrid accord, its not like im going to be drifting or anything....

Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

No, not drifting. More like better cornering (more responsive), as opposed to mushy feeling tires.

See if those tires are included in any of TireRack's TESTS, as opposed to the customer ratings. Read what they liked & disliked about them, compared to YOUR idea of what characteristics are important to YOU. And if you think you'll buy from them, I've found they are pretty easy to talk to on the phone too.