Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-15/)
-   -   New accord looking for rims and tires (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-15/new-accord-looking-rims-tires-55458/)

Cnote401 06-24-2013 12:11 AM

New accord looking for rims and tires

Just got my first accord looking for some nice probably 20" rims and tires preferably low pro but i could be wrong any sujjestions on what too look for like the style five spoke.

Cnote401 06-24-2013 12:16 AM

Btw its a black 2010 exl 4cl completly tinted all the way around

shipo 06-24-2013 08:02 AM

Question: Why 20" wheels?
  • If for handling, please understand that your stock 17" setup will handle way-way better than a 20" setup; an 18" setup will probably provide the best all around handling.
  • If for looks, please understand that you will be sacrificing a significant amount of ride and handling, and with less than a 3" sidewall you'll most likely find yourself replacing damaged tires (and possibly rims as well) on a fairly regular basis.

WheelBrokerAng 06-26-2013 03:02 AM

Hello Member

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 325089)
  • If for handling, please understand that your stock 17" setup will handle way-way better than a 20" setup; an 18" setup will probably provide the best all around handling.
  • If for looks, please understand that you will be sacrificing a significant amount of ride and handling, and with less than a 3" sidewall you'll most likely find yourself replacing damaged tires (and possibly rims as well) on a fairly regular basis.

Shippo is giving out good info for you there . I wouldn't go over an 18" wheel either..They look the best on the cars and they cost a lot's less than 20 " tires and wheels also.

WheelBrokerAng :) ..:eek:

bamaboy1626 08-13-2013 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 325089)

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng (Post 325254)
Shippo is giving out good info for you there . I wouldn't go over an 18" wheel either..They look the best on the cars and they cost a lot's less than 20 " tires and wheels also.

WheelBrokerAng :) ..:eek:

Attachment 17403

2010 4cyl exl with 20s. Ride was fine and didn't lose much.... maybe 2-3 mpg hwy. I think I was running 225/40/20 tires. I have a 13 ex-l v6 now and I will be doing 20s again for sure.

shipo 08-13-2013 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by bamaboy1626 (Post 329502)
http://mob48.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1318032769

2010 4cyl exl with 20s. Ride was fine and didn't lose much.... maybe 2-3 mpg hwy. I think I was running 225/40/20 tires. I have a 13 ex-l v6 now and I will be doing 20s again for sure.

Okay, so you lose handling, you lose fuel economy, you lose acceleration, you lose braking performance, you lose brake pad life, and lose any semblance of impact absorption if you hit an irregularity of any sort in the road. And for that you gain what?

I guess I’m too much the engineer (you know, the old "form follows function" thing) because I really don't get the attraction to big bling wheels (unless they’re needed to go around monster brakes).

bamaboy1626 08-14-2013 07:58 AM

Handling improved over the stock 17s, braking wasn't noticeably different. Only thing lost was a few mpg. I love how people try to talk from performance points all the time when these are street cars. Nobody is racing their accord. It would take a racing environment to notice the losses from changing wheels. People should just do what they want with their cars.

shipo 08-14-2013 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by bamaboy1626 (Post 329566)
Handling improved over the stock 17s, braking wasn't noticeably different.

Like it or don't, believe it or not, there is a HUGE body of scientifically derived evidence that proves that your handling and braking were both reduced when you moved from 17" wheels to 20" wheels. Said another way, what you "think" you feel and what is reality are often two very different things.

bamaboy1626 08-14-2013 12:31 PM

Like it or not... a better, wider, stickier tire did help my car feel better on the road. When I put the stocks back on it felt clumsy and lost. I believe I have enough experience with it to know. Like I said.... in a track environment where you're driving to the limits of the car and the tires then maybe you could measure a loss in performance but in street driving conditions its not there. Try again.

shipo 08-14-2013 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by bamaboy1626 (Post 329589)
Like it or not... a better, wider, stickier tire did help my car feel better on the road. When I put the stocks back on it felt clumsy and lost. I believe I have enough experience with it to know. Like I said.... in a track environment where you're driving to the limits of the car and the tires then maybe you could measure a loss in performance but in street driving conditions its not there. Try again.

The thing is, "better, wider and stickier" tires have very little to do with wheel size, you could just have easily (and for much less money) bought "better, wider and stickier" tires for your 17" rims.

You don't have to believe the science of the issue, but that doesn't doesn't change the fact that 20" wheels are less efficient on your car than 17" wheels, pretty much regardless of which performance category you're trying to measure.