Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-15/)
-   -   replace/repaint rims ? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-15/replace-repaint-rims-54867/)

dadcanic 05-18-2013 02:54 AM

replace/repaint rims ?

The rims on our 1998 Accord ex are pretty scraped up they are the aluminum alloy ones. Any one repaint theirs? and will other year accord rims fit as long as the lug nut number is the same 4 vs 5? are they all the same width?:confused:

TexasHonda 05-18-2013 07:55 AM

Check youtube videos on the subject "how to repair aluminum rims".

I don't know about interchanging rims from different years. It should work as long as rim diameter is same.

good luck

dadcanic 05-19-2013 10:40 AM

I've been looking at other Honda's, a lot of nice rims on other models and other some on older accords. . Looks like some pretty cool stock alloy rims on years past. The 1998 one look blah even when not banged up. Maybe if I painted them all chrome or something. I'll search for pics. I see a lot of cool aftermarket ones, but I was hoping to not spent anything near $ 75- $100 per rim to replace. anyone as cheap as me have any luck?

live2rice 05-19-2013 11:35 AM

Craigslist would be your best bet for used rims. But anything new is going to cost you at least that much

dadcanic 05-19-2013 01:33 PM

yep, you're right, I went to craigs list. I was quickly overwhelmed with rims , all sizes. A few actually stated they were off of accords, others said " will fit all 4 lug cars" I'm guessing if I stay with 15"( That's width I think.) I will not have off set issues? Anyone know off hand what sizes will fit without alteration? Right now the tires are bad too. they are 195/65/R15. I will need tires also. It would be a good time to swap tires and rims.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I'm cleaning the old alloy rims, in case I paint them. They have years of brake dust and crud on them. I picked the car up used (very) a few months ago, and am slowly fixing dozens of things. Any home remedies for cleaning? I've already been through several bottles of wheel cleaner,...slow process thanks for any ideas! :)

hondafreak91c 05-19-2013 07:00 PM

Your car is a 4-cylinder right?

If it is, your lug pattern is 4x114.3. Any wheels with that pattern will bolt up.

dadcanic 05-19-2013 11:04 PM

Yep, thankx, I'll keep looking.I may go to a local junkyard this week. They said they have about 12 accords,but didn't say what rims.

dadcanic 06-01-2013 04:48 PM

still no replacement rims, no $ to play with.. anyone got any tips for cleaning yearssss of brake dust and grime off my originals? I've been working at it, but major amount still on it. Sprays don't seem to remove them, and a wire brush will ruin the already bad finish...:(

kayweb 06-02-2013 03:31 PM

Have you tried brake cleaner yet?
Might make the clear coat a little weird looking if you leave it on, but theoretically should dissolve the brake dust right quick. Worked like a charm on my Festiva's tiny Enkeis

dadcanic 06-05-2013 08:16 AM

I had to get new tires,yesterday. I went pretty cheap with "Hercules" never heard of them, but the price was right. I will try brake cleaner! I have some spray left from last brake job I did on wifes minivan, never thought of it? Do all these alloy rims have a clear coat? mine look pretty beat, not shiney except a few places. :)