Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-15/)
-   -   Stock tires on aftermarket rims? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-15/stock-tires-aftermarket-rims-54587/)

onthedrums 04-30-2013 10:10 PM

Stock tires on aftermarket rims?

I have a 2006 honda accord v6 sedan.

first off would I be able to take my stock tires off my accords stock rims and put them on after market rims such as these?

Custom Wheels and Custom Rims with Fast Shipping Katana Wheels K15 17x7 Gunmetal High Offset

or

Sport Tuning T5 Machined w/Black Accent

any other tips help would be awesome! thanks!

[ChaosweaveR] 05-01-2013 12:19 AM

That width will work with the stock tire size.

If you ask me, it's a waste since you're trying to keep your stock tires, save up and plus size it. 18"s look good on these cars and running a bigger, wider wheel with some good summer tires is money much better spent.

onthedrums 05-01-2013 10:45 AM

Awesome thanks your your help man. Its much appriciated. I need advice on these things as i am new to this type of stuff but i am very interested in cars! I wanna learn haha.

You have convenced me to save up for 18s and tires but that will be down the road lol

Im probably going to put a front lip on, lower, and tint the windows before the rims and tires.

Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] (Post 320315)
That width will work with the stock tire size.

If you ask me, it's a waste since you're trying to keep your stock tires, save up and plus size it. 18"s look good on these cars and running a bigger, wider wheel with some good summer tires is money much better spent.

shipo 05-01-2013 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by onthedrums (Post 320341)
Awesome thanks your your help man. Its much appriciated. I need advice on these things as i am new to this type of stuff but i am very interested in cars! I wanna learn haha.

You have convenced me to save up for 18s and tires but that will be down the road lol

Im probably going to put a front lip on, lower, and tint the windows before the rims and tires.

Keep in mind that by "plus sizing" up to 18" wheels and tires you will probably lose a bit in pretty much every performance area (i.e. transitional handling, acceleration, braking, and fuel economy), the only performance metric which may improve a bit is lateral grip at the limit in a steady state turn.

Were I in your shoes I'd stay with the 17" wheel size.

onthedrums 05-01-2013 12:29 PM

So you think i should save up for some decent 17s and tires?

Also do you know much about lowering? I want to put lowering springs on my 06 accord is it okaay to put only lowering springs on? No camber kit. No new shocks?

Sorry if im hitting you with a bunch of random questions im just learning haha.

Thanks so much i appriciate your time and knowledge.

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 320342)
Keep in mind that by "plus
sizing" up to 18" wheels and tires you will probably lose a bit in pretty much every performance area (i.e. transitional handling, acceleration, braking, and fuel economy), the only performance metric which may improve a bit is lateral grip at the limit in a steady state turn.

Were I in your shoes I'd stay with the 17" wheel size.

shipo 05-01-2013 12:40 PM

The nice thing about staying with the 17s is that you can change the wheels and use your factory tires on them until you're ready.

As for lowering, sorry, I live in a rural area where over one-hundred inches of snow per season is not at all uncommon (five of the last eleven winters), as such, lowering isn't something I have ever researched (last thing I need to do is to turn my car into a snow plow).

onthedrums 05-01-2013 01:37 PM

Thanks so much for your help man! I will be looking into some 17s and getting tires later.

What kind of car you got? Any mods?

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 320348)
The nice thing about staying with the 17s is that you can change the wheels and use your factory tires on them until you're ready.

As for lowering, sorry, I live in a rural area where over one-hundred inches of snow per season is not at all uncommon (five of the last eleven winters), as such, lowering isn't something I have ever researched (last thing I need to do is to turn my car into a snow plow).

shipo 05-01-2013 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by onthedrums (Post 320351)
What kind of car you got? Any mods?

Check my signature for my cars; they're all pretty much stock except for upgraded wheels and tires. I may "chip" the GTI once it's out of the warranty period, that said, as an engineer who has worked in and around the automotive industry for many years, I have a healthy respect for how most cars are originally designed and built and as a general rule have an "anti-mod" mentality. Said another way, the vast majority of "mods" (beyond wheels, tires, and driver training on a track) come with as many negatives as positives (if not more), IMHO. :)

[ChaosweaveR] 05-02-2013 06:15 AM

Going to 18"s on paper will "hurt" performance. But that change is so minuscule that it's not even worth worrying over. Believe me when I tell you...you'll regret sticking with the stock 17" wheel size.

Plus, having the 18" wheels opens you up to a better choice in performance tires.

Depending on the width of the rim, you could go with these sizes:

215/45 R18
225/40 R18
235/40 R18

They're all very close to the OEM aspect ratio of your stock 215/50 R17 tire height and won't throw off your speedo.

onthedrums 05-02-2013 10:07 AM

Thanks for the help! I will for sure be looking into some 18s. What exactly gets rge speeo off? I have heard of that.

Do you have 18s?

Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] (Post 320417)
Going to 18"s on paper will "hurt" performance. But that change is so minuscule that it's not even worth worrying over. Believe me when I tell you...you'll regret sticking with the stock 17" wheel size.

Plus, having the 18" wheels opens you up to a better choice in performance tires.

Depending on the width of the rim, you could go with these sizes:

215/45 R18
225/40 R18
235/40 R18

They're all very close to the OEM aspect ratio of your stock 215/50 R17 tire height and won't throw off your speedo.