Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2005 Accord LX. Randomly radio POPS! and then goes dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:31 PM
tpstaples
Unregistered
Default 2005 Accord LX. Randomly radio POPS! and then goes dead

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend has an 05 accord LX with a completely stock radio in it. Pretty regularly now while she's listening to the radio, the speakers will let out a large popping noise and the radio will shut off. When she turns it back on, there's no audio. So she screams a curse word and shuts it off...

20 minutes later she'll hit the ON button again and the radio will work. BUT, sometimes it wont... sometimes it's 3 days without a functioning radio.

It's been improving her vocal skills because now she has to sing her songs... but other than that it's been a real headache..

anyone have any ideas? She took it to honda and they said they went through the wiring and didn't find any shorts or anything, and then told her it would be 600 dollars to replace her radio and that that might not even be the problem.

any ideas?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:21 PM

I'm pretty sure there was a recall on this.....
Let me do some searching.
If there was a recall, the Honda place you took it to should be reported to Honda of America for trying to charge you for a recalled item...

Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM
tpstaples
Unregistered

oh man!!!!!!!! if you find that recall information that would be AWESOME!!!!!!!! she would be so psyched!

thank you thank you

Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM

The recall I was thinking of was about the radio display, or screen, going out..... hmmm.....

Old 07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Even though the dealer supposedly went through the wiring, my bet is one of the speakers has a short. What your describing definitely sounds like a short somewhere, since it comes and goes, something must be moving, so I doubt it is within the radio itself. This is not going to be something easily solved, electrical problems never are. When it goes out and stays out again, I would pull the radio, find a pin diagram of the harness, and measure the impedance of each speaker. They should be close to 8ohms, if it says 0.00 ohms you have a short in that speaker or the wiring. If the speakers all check out, make sure when you plug the radio back in it's still not working. If you can't get a straight answer by doing that, I would then go ahead and unplug each speaker until it comes back on. But that would only work if the short is withing the speaker itself, which I think is more likely. But the short could be in wiring itself, so unplugging the speaker won't do anything in that case. If the short is in fact in the wiring, your going to have to run new wires to that speaker.

Then there is also the chance it is the internal amp in the radio dieing, which I've heard a lot of people have this problem. But usually when it dies, it stays dead.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 AM
crc
Default I'm having the same issue...

Hi - what was the outcome with the radio issue your girlfriend was experiencing? Were you able to diagnose the problem and fix it?
Thanks!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 AM

My 2005 accor LX sedan is doing it too I hope it is a recall

Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

A factory system should have no issues. If it does, then it is an internal failure. The factory wiring does not fail without outside influence/damage.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 PM

I'd be interested in discovering what happened, if it was resolved. My 2004 factory radio is doing the exact same thing.
I will check the rear speakers because I've had my trunk stuffed with the kid's baseball stuff, maybe I've knocked something loose.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Default Was this fixed?

I have a 2005 Accord EX with a 6 CD changer doing the same thing. Mine wouldn't go out then on - it just stopped working one day. Did you ever figure out/fix the problem? I had someone look at it and they couldn't figure it out.

Quick Reply: 2005 Accord LX. Randomly radio POPS! and then goes dead