Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

What paint to use to paint rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Default RE: What paint to use to paint rims?

i just painted my rims a couple of weeks ago with black paint...

what you need is: (for 4 rims)

masking tape 1/2 roll
2-3 coarse-very coarse sanding sponge
food plastic wrap (1/2 roll)
1 spray can metal primer
1 can of rust buster (clear type coating to prevent it from rusting)
1 bottle of alcohol
sponge or a roll of toilet rolls (maybe 2)
about4-5 cans of spraypaint of the colour of your choice (the more expensive ones doesn't mean the better)
4 rims with very flat tyres on it and center caps off

1: sand your rims down all the way until all the old paints are off (you may need to flake some of the paints)
2: wipe it down with alcohol to get rid of all the fine dusts
3:tape your tyres at the front where people can see them and the valve tubes as well...
4: wrap your tyres with food wrapping (people advise to use cardboard or newspaper, but this was is much easier) making sure you stuck the wrapping between the tyres and the rims (this is why we need the tyres to be flat) at the front and make sure there are no gaps (step 3 is only for precaution if this happens)
5: spray a generous amount of primer front and back (only where people can see them) then wait for about 30 mins
6: spray the colour spray paint and let it dry for about 60-90 mins and repeat about 3 times over the primer
7: spray the clear rust guard over all the painted rims and wait till dry
8: remove the plastc wrap (or whatever you use) and masking tapes as well, and do a touch-up on the spots that you missed
9: put your rims and center caps back on and enjoy the new view

ps: you might want to do the break calipers and drums while you have your tyres off as well...

and sorry no "before, steps and after" pics to show

Old 01-31-2008, 02:25 PM

i am from connecticut and there ids a company out here that would do my atv rims for like 25 bucks a piece...that includes sand blasting and color...so that the route i would go ,cause you will paint them and they will look good but once mounted on the rim its going to cost you money to repaint aand have the tire taken off the rim every time u want to paint..

Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: peterSS

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

clean it really well and use a low grit sandpaper to make sure it's rough enough to stick...
well, low grit is good for primer, if you shoot a paint over that you'll see a lot of nasty scratches
I'd spend a bit more and do powder coating and have a great paint for years, just my opinion
I've always been a bit backwards when I talk about sandpaper... old family habbit.... I meant low grit as in not as harsh or gritty, not by number rating.... Something like a 400 or so....