General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 honda acord ex 4 cylinder has oil engine leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Default 2000 honda acord ex 4 cylinder has oil engine leak

I had a 2000 honda acord ex 4 cylinder has oil engine leak. the oil sit right below the left side valve cover which I had just put a new gasket.The engine oil dip srraight to the bottom of the oil pan. Please help to identify the leak. One machine say the oil pump is leaking . Please help

Old 10-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Left side of the car? Always say right & left side as if you are sitting in the driver's seat. Left = USA drivers-side.

The oil pump is on the left side of the engine, but it's down low around the crankshaft pulley.

If it leaks from the (new) valvecover gasket, maybe it's from the corners between the camshaft-bearing-caps & the head surface. Did you use a little bit of sealant at those corners?

Another possibility (but it's on the right side) is the distributor??

Old 10-05-2013, 01:01 PM

I touch around the valve cover it is dry. I did use the sealant. I went to change the PVC valve.The engine oil is sitting on the hup below the (about 2 or 3 inches ) valve cover and top of the bottom crankshaft pully( side ). It not distributor. It completely dry. ( 2000 honda accord EX 2.3 L ).

Last edited by robertng1; 10-05-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe from the camshaft seal? Balance shaft seals? You might take off the upper timing cover & have a look around.

Best way to look around is to take off the lower timing cover, but that requires removing that *&#$*# crankshaft pulley.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:04 AM

how to replace camshaft seal and I cannot take off the upper timing cover.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Valve cover must be lifted to remove the upper timing belt cover. Camshaft seal requires removal of lower timing belt cover and removal of balance shaft belt to access. Rear balance shaft oring under balance shaft cover is also a potential leak site.

good luck

Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 PM

I took off the upper timing belt cover. I don't see any leak ,the belt is dry and I can see the wheel and the part of the end valve cover .Can I pour
some leak detecter in the engine and used ultar violet sunglass to located the leak. I though the camshaft seal located in the top timing cover. where is the balance shaft cover located.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:16 PM

I had an honda accord 2000 ex 2.3 litre which has an engine light on say tranmission control solenoid (neutral) switch problem.If i replaced the switch do I need to enter
a code to erase the engine light. Please help ASAP.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

If that fixes the problem, the light would eventually stop by itself. The code is still stored in memory, so you can clear that.
USA 1998-2002 Accords
Pull fuse #13 in the right-side dashboard fusebox (near right-front door hinges).

If the real fault is in the wiring, or elsewhere, then a new switch won't fix the problem. In that case the engine light will come right back on again.

Finally, the way you spell "litre" suggests you aren't in USA. The Europe or UK, or Japan version of the Accord is a different car altogether, so that might not be the correct fuse to reset the PCM.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:57 PM

I am in HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A. The fuse # 13 in right say clock back up & left is starter signal. Which fuse is it ?.What exactly you want me to do with the fuse.You want me to pull it out and replace it to reset the engine light. ASAP

Quick Reply: 2000 honda acord ex 4 cylinder has oil engine leak