General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 EX-L 3.5L V6 - Vibration under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

You know, I'm normally a believer in the idea that oil is better now than it was 30 years ago, parts are machined better, all that stuff. But I find it hard to beileve that transmission fluid is OK for 120k miles.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Your problem may be due to the variable cylinder management (VCM) and/or one of the engine mounts weakening. Your car came with active control engine mounts to help cancel vibrations due to the VCM activating and deactivating cylinders to try to obtain better fuel economy.

There were several ECM/PCM software updates. Honda TSB A11-033 was to optimizes VCM operation which should improve drivability, reduce harmful deposits within the combustion chamber, and potentially reduce oil consumption. To view links, copy and paste without quotation marks ( " " ).

"http://dvpatel.homelinux.com/forumfiles/SB/A11-033.PDF"

This other software update, Honda TSB A08-060 was for slow shift to 1st gear; but, is probably unrelated to your problem. It is included for informational purposes.

"http://mordor.rutgers.edu/accord/tsb/08%20V6%20slow%20shift%20to%201st%2008-060.pdf"

Here is an article regarding the rear engine mount weakening on the Honda Odysseys which would cause vibration on acceleration. The Odysseys were somewhat similar in engineering to the Accords, so your problem could be due to this.

"http://accuratecars.com/blog/2008/11/26/excessive-engine-vibration-with-eco-on-the-honda-odyssey-ex-l-and-honda-odyssey-touring/"

One other thing, most people change the transmission fluid far earlier than what is listed in Honda service guide. The new Honda DW-1 automatic transmission fluid is synthetic and I like how it seems to shift very smoothly when I used it on my car.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-12-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-13-2011, 06:16 AM
Default Vibration on Acceleration

I also will let you know how service goes. I am expecting they will find no problem. However, last time this type of thing happened (and no problem was found), the tran died in 2 years ($2,200 to repair). I have an '08 Accord V6 with 94k miles (automatic). Serviced regularly. Started noticing vibrating (feels like driving over pebbles) at low speed and low gear acceleration. Sounds like we have the same problem. The problem with CV is you can't really say that's the problem without changing out the joint. I have had CV problems in the past and they seem to show themselves a bit more agressively than this problem. They also go downhill very quickly (weeks). I have had this issue for about 1 month now. Service on Oct 22. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you for your kind replies guys. Much appreciated. Some great feedback there redbull-1. I'm sure soccerdadcmc and I may well benefit from the links and comments as it seems we may well share the same problem. Apologies if this sounds an ignorant question, but can a garage that is not a Honda main dealer obtain the software updates in the same way that a Honda branded one can? I first noticed this issue about 5+ months ago around about the time I had my winter tires swapped back to my all-seasons. So it's been noticeable for quite some time. Frustratingly though, whenever I take it to the garage for them to drive it never seems to play up. That said, they did notice it yesterday to a lesser degree, but definitely not to the level that plagues me all the time. My issue started at low speed and low gear acceleration too, but now seems to have started vibrating in third as it changes through to fourth. @soccerdadcmc: If I have any joy getting this annoying problem sorted I will reply on here and let you know what worked for my car.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Aceimager
but can a garage that is not a Honda main dealer obtain the software updates in the same way that a Honda branded one can?
If the independent shop has HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) and access to ISIS (Integrated Service Information System), then they can do it. Although some independent shops have it, most do not.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Your problem may be due to the variable cylinder management (VCM) and/or one of the engine mounts weakening. Your car came with active control engine mounts to help cancel vibrations due to the VCM activating and deactivating cylinders to try to obtain better fuel economy.

There were several ECM/PCM software updates. Honda TSB A11-033 was to optimizes VCM operation which should improve drivability, reduce harmful deposits within the combustion chamber, and potentially reduce oil consumption. To view links, copy and paste without quotation marks ( " " ).

"http://dvpatel.homelinux.com/forumfiles/SB/A11-033.PDF"

This other software update, Honda TSB A08-060 was for slow shift to 1st gear; but, is probably unrelated to your problem. It is included for informational purposes.

"http://mordor.rutgers.edu/accord/tsb/08%20V6%20slow%20shift%20to%201st%2008-060.pdf"

Here is an article regarding the rear engine mount weakening on the Honda Odysseys which would cause vibration on acceleration. The Odysseys were somewhat similar in engineering to the Accords, so your problem could be due to this.

"http://accuratecars.com/blog/2008/11/26/excessive-engine-vibration-with-eco-on-the-honda-odyssey-ex-l-and-honda-odyssey-touring/"

One other thing, most people change the transmission fluid far earlier than what is listed in Honda service guide. The new Honda DW-1 automatic transmission fluid is synthetic and I like how it seems to shift very smoothly when I used it on my car.

very nice info. do you work for a honda dealer? you always have very informative info to share

Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you redbull-1. Most helpful. I will be sure to share my experiences on here should I have any joy in sorting out this issue.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Default 2008 EX-L 3.5L V6 - Vibration under acceleration

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the post. Just to let you know that I have exactly the same car as yours and I am having the same problem. The difference is that I got my pre-owned car from Honda dealer and its Honda Certified!!!
I have noticed the vibration as low rev between the 1-2 (Sometimes) gear and 2-3 gear (Most of the times).
I took my car for reg service early this month and I talked with one of the showroom guys about the problem. He was surprised and said this shouldn't happen. The guys there couldn't check the car coz it was Saturday and they didn't have enough tech guys.

I want to know if you were able to get an answer for this problem!!!

Thanks,
Ray

Old 10-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the post. Sorry to hear you have been having problems too. There is another poster on here called soccerdadcmc who has experienced the same issues. I will now copy and paste his recent reply on his own thread and hopefully this might help resolve things for us.

Had the 90k mile service performed. They checked transmission, all suspension parts and tires. No issues were found except tire pressure being a bit low (not enough to trigger the TPMS light). When replacing the spark plugs, they were a little fouled (94k miles) but nothing severe. The tech seemed to feel this may be contributing to the "stumbling". Transmission fluid was changed out but did not look unusually dirty. In driving the car home, it definitely felt fine and I did not notice. Maybe it was the spark plugs not firing clean.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your quick reply. I don't think this problem could be from spark plugs!!!
We don't face this problem when we go with high acceleration only on low rev, otherwise we would face it all the time.
I am planning to take it back to the dealer to check it for me.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: 2008 EX-L 3.5L V6 - Vibration under acceleration