General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 accord stalls when put in gear and at stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 03:48 PM

I cleaned out the tank today, installed a new filter, kept turning the ignition on and off until the fuel line ran clear. I'm still getting 28 PSI. Now as far as they did in vacuum lines where can I find those on the engine? Also, I did not test the fuel pressure regulator I got from the junkyard because I could not confirm whether it was from a 90, 91 or 92 Accord and it would have made the test invalid. In addition did I perform the test correctly to diagnose the fuel pressure regulator as being faulty? if not if anyone could tell me how to do it I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Does the car start and run?

The FPR from the 90-93 accords are the same, so you can try swapping them. Does the fuel pressure still vary between 20 and 30 psi? What happened when you disconnect the vacuum hose to the FPR?

Old 07-31-2016, 04:07 PM

The pressure went up about 5 PSI when I disconnected the hose from the fpr. However, I repeated the test of squeezing the fuel line return hose from the pressure regulator several times and now the pressure isn't rising at all which indicates that the fuel pump is steadily going out.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:51 PM

Changed the fuel pump and the stumbling and hesitation when pressing the gas at idle and in gear is gone for now . I'll put it back on the road and let everyone know how things go for sure soon.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:21 PM

Ok, put the car back on the road and the stalling when giving it gas in gear is gone and the stalling when coming to a stop is gone. The problem I have now is that the car stumbles and hesitates when I slowly depress the gas (thoop-poop) and In order to make it go I have to give it gas until just before it begins to stumble then let off quickly then press the gas again quickly. This I do over and over until I get the car to a speed out of "stumbling range". I have been driving it back and forth to work since the repair which is only about 6 miles round trip. Today I pushed it a little to see if I could get something to happen that would let me know what's going on (no CEL yet) and when I turned it off and raised the hood there was light smoke coming from under the car up between the firewall and the plenum and it smelled like a hot wax crayon, mabye? Any ideas anyone?

Old 08-20-2017, 08:24 PM

Ok if anyone is interested, let me tell u what the problem was. I know its a long time coming but better late than never. it was a trashy gas tank the whole time! I noticed that when I made turns on a low tank of gas that's when it would stumble like crazy, and every time thereafter I would fill the tank up and repeat the turns and the stumbles went away immediately every time. for now, I will keep the tank topped off until I get a new one.

I really hopes this helps someone the way this forum has helped me!

Thank you also much!