General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting issues, please help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Default starting issues, please help?

hello everyone, i'm sorry because i know this question has been asked a million times but everyone else i've seen ask doesn't seem to exactly have the same problem as me. so i'll begin. i have a 2000 accord 4 cyl with the manual transmission. about two weeks ago, i started it up and drove across town to eat. by the time i had come out and went to start my car, it wouldn't do anything. the car hadn't had any slow problems with the starter, so i was confused. i got out and tapped the starter with a hammer and still nothing. so a polite hobo walked up and i asked if he'd help me push start it. ran like a top all the way back home then when i parked it and turned it off, out of curiosity i tried starting it thinking maybe it just had a dead battery and nothing. so it sat for about another week until i had to really use it, and push started it again. still ran fine but still no starter. so today i went and bought a new one. after putting it on, and making sure all the connections were good, and cleaning my battery (wich is only a few months old along with the cables btw) it still wouldn't start. i tried wiggling the connections and all. i noticed that when my buddy tried starting it there was a clicking noise coming from the fuse box and i was wondering wich exact relay/fuse is it? could it be clutch relay or ignition? i also checked all the fuses on the inside compartment and ruled those out. i didn't think it'd be clutch, because i still had one everytime i drove my car, but at the same time if it won't pick up the clutch engaging when i'm trying to start it then idk. and i know the fuel pump is working and priming, cos the car obviously drives and runs fine when i can push start it. i was just wondering if my theory was wrong possibly, and maybe any of you guys had any suggestions? i really need my car just like everyone else, and this has gotten very aggravating. please help if you can. everyone i've seen ask similiar to this question had an automatic, and i know sometimes autos and mannys differ a little bit in certain areas.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a bad battery to me. It's unusual but not impossible for a new battery to fail. I've had batteries fail suddenly (not new batteries, but still...) just in the time I'm at a restaurant or something.

Places like AutoZone will usually test your battery & alternator for free. What about the place you bought your battery, since it's pretty new.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Does your car have some kind of aftermarket alarm system installed?