Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2011, 10:11 PM

Default '94 Accord Ignition Problem- key gets stuck won't turn

Hi,
I've got a '94 accord in decent shape. Over the last few days a problem has developed with the ignition. It's nearly impossible to turn the key. It was turning from 0 to I fairly easily then needing a huge push to actually start the car. Then it got stuck and would not turn back from I to 0 when the car was off. Finally got the key out after lots of pushing and wiggling. I don't know much about cars but from research and talking to people I'm assuming I have to replace the Ignition Switch & Lock Cylinder Assembly.
The car is in park when the key gets stuck. Turning the steering wheel does not help.
I did have a heavy key chain which I read can damage the ignition switch but it persists even without the keychain.
There are no issues with the car loosing power or dash lights flickering once it's on.
We have 2 keys and both have the same problem, which started suddenly, so I don't think it's just a worn key.

My question is- will replacing the Ignition Switch & Lock Cylinder Assembly solve this problem? I was looking at this:
1994 Honda Accord Ignition Switch & Lock Cylinder Assembly with Key at 1AAuto.com.
or
Lockworks/Ignition Lock (Cylinder & Keys) (LC62801) | 1994 Honda Accord LX 4 Cylinders 2.2L MFI | AutoZone.com
Then I saw that there are also these Ignition Lock Keys available-
Standard Ignition Lock Cylinder (#US188L) for Honda Accord / Prelude 92-96 (Switches/Controls)
Is it possible I only need to replace the ignition lock key or the Ignition Switch and not the whole Switch & Lock Cylinder Assembly? Is there a way I can test this?
I searched previous posts and couldn't find a solution to this exact problem, so thanks for your advice.
Thanks.

1994 Accord LX AT
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 05-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Acura TSX

I would first try WD-40 mechanical part of the lock. Just spray into where you insert the key and try working the key around a bit. Maybe the tumbler or the spring is just bound up.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM

WD-40 seemed to do the trick!
I don't want to get too excited because it will probably start sticking again, but so far it seems like a success. Key is turning with ease. I guess the simplest explanation is usually the best.
Thanks PAHonda for your sage advice. Saved me a lot of time and money!
I'll post if the problem reoccurs and I have to move on to plan B.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Try some graphite lube 'cause the WD-40 will probably dry out.
my kids have Civics
Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 PM

Default Lock Repair for Honda Accord

Honda Steering Lock, Either with time or due to mishandling, the levers gets damaged. You may replace or remove defected levers completely to make the lock working.

You can watch this video to repair Honda Locks

If your key has worn-out and it has an inbuilt transponder / sensor in it the you can also re-use the sensor in new key to save cost....

Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 PM

Tags
1994, 92, accord, car, cylinder, frozen, honda, ignition, lock, parking, phase, replacing, start, stuck, switch, turn