General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C recharge

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Default A/C recharge

I think my a/c system needs a recharge...the air is barely cold at all. When I'm at idle and turn on the a/c button the RPMs drop and I hear the engine bog down so I assume my system works. Can I recharge this myself or is it better to take it in. Also, is it R12 or 134A in a 1991??

Old 04-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A/C recharge

the car had R-12 from the factory; It is best to have it serviced by a shop with a recycle machine.
You might want to be sure the heater valve is closing all the way.
The one eyed tech says the system is low on freon....the two eyed tech says WHY is the system low on freon?
If the freon leaked out you might want to start checking around for oily spots at the plumbingconnections or in the pressure switch.
When you have the system serviced have flourescent dye put in, as well as oil. The system oil bonds to the freon so if the freon leaks out it takes some oil with it.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Default RE: A/C recharge

ORIGINAL: hondadude

the car had R-12 from the factory; It is best to have it serviced by a shop with a recycle machine.
You might want to be sure the heater valve is closing all the way.
The one eyed tech says the system is low on freon....the two eyed tech says WHY is the system low on freon?
If the freon leaked out you might want to start checking around for oily spots at the plumbingconnections or in the pressure switch.
When you have the system serviced have flourescent dye put in, as well as oil. The system oil bonds to the freon so if the freon leaks out it takes some oil with it.
Is it easy to check the heater valve or the pressure swithc? My manuals don't indicate where a/c stuff is in my car. Do shops still have r12?