General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doesn't shift out of Park, No brake lights, brake switch good.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:13 PM
rudeg
Unregistered
Default Doesn't shift out of Park, No brake lights, brake switch good.

I just bought a 90 Accord LX, it doesn't shift out of Park and the brake lights don't work. I've got power at the switch and the switch is good. Is there something else in series with this switch?

Old 04-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Doesn't shift out of Park, No brake lights, brake switch good.

Almost certainly the brake light switch is not closing. There are two wires, Grn/wht and and Wht/Yel to the brake switch. The Wht/Yel should have 12V always and Grn/wht should have zero volts w/ brake switch open and 12V w/ brake switch closed. If indeed, the switch is working, then the brake light warning system is next likely place to check.

Suggest downloading the 91 Accord manual from DIY section, Online Manuals link (hondahookup.com I think). This will have circuit diagram to assist finding the fault.

I have had luck on one occasion w/ spraying the brake switch w/ WD40 to loosen up the contacts and spring. After that depress brake pedal and"exercise" the switch by hand. The switch is spring loaded to close as soon as pedal is depressed slightly and pedal should return to close the switch. If it's not closing, either spring is broke or switch is stuck closed somehow.

good luck

Old 04-18-2008, 03:17 PM
rudeg
Unregistered

Thanks for the tip and the link. I will check it out.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/CAN...m_83974/tm.htm

search our DIY section before asking for help.. the reply might already be there ..

Old 04-18-2008, 06:24 PM
rudeg
Unregistered

I have 12 volts on yel/wht, jumpered yel/wht to grn/wht still nothing. I bought a new switch just in case the old one was stuck or flaky but it did not work. I have a circuit diagram now andI will keep digging. I did check the DIY but I didn't see anything with the same situation I have. Thanks for the tips.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your test suggests burn-out bulbs, wiring problem, or faulty brake-light-out relay (in rear tail light assy). Suggest checking at bulbs for voltage, and then at the brake-light-out relay. Somewhere the circuit is interrupted.

good luck

Old 12-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Glad u explain clear about brake switch malfunction; The code 68-1 seems to be related to this issue you just explained. Is it correct?