General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord Ground Wire

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Default Honda Accord Ground Wire

My car was recently broken into as well as other Honda's that were in the area. The batteries where stolen from all Honda's that were on the block.

They stole my battery and cut the ground wire in the process.

My car: 1990 Honda Accord

My question is: Will any ground wire do? Does it have to come from a Honda (same make/model)?

I was thinking of going to a junk yard and getting one. Or is best to get a new one?

Also is this an easy enough DIY project someone with little experience can handle?

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

A new one would be best; however, if you're trying to watch your finances, you can try one from a junkyard.

If you get one from a junkyard, inspect it very carefully for corrosion (some corrosion may not even be visible, as it may be inside the wire core). If you try one from a junkyard and you have starting problems, etc.; then consider getting a new one.

If you buy a new cable, it can be from the dealer or aftermarket.

The Honda OEM negative battery ground cable for the coupe (2-door) and sedan (4-door) are slightly different. So, if you go to a junkyard, if your car is a coupe, look for a coupe and vice versa, to be safe.

The negative ground cable has another auxiliary cable connector that looks to connect to another spot on the chassis. (Looks like two connections to the chassis and then one to the battery post.) This link show the actual Honda ground cable for a sedan. Coupe is similar.

http://fuelpumpsusa.com/AUTOPARTS_PI...-sm4-020_2.jpg

New aftermarket OE style negative ground cables (available from O'reilys, Autozone, etc.) look to be almost the same price as from the dealer. However, as a cheaper option, aftermarket also has negative ground cables that look like you have to cut and splice into part of the existing old ground cable.

It shouldn't be too bad to try yourself to replace, unless you try cutting and splicing. You may have to remove an additional harness clip or so. If you go to a junkyard, you can also practice removing it and then know how to reinstall. You might want to clean the cable connectors and the ground points on the chassis with a little sandpaper to give it good contact.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Honda Accord Ground Wire-ground-cable.jpg  
Old 06-28-2012, 02:17 PM

Wow! That has to be the most helpful post I have ever received.

Thanks so much for your help and taking time to write that out. I appreciate it very much.

I will give it a try and will see how it comes out

Old 06-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

No problem. Let us know how things come out.