General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 accord LX ground wire issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 98 accord LX ground wire issue

Hello everyone i am new here as you can see and i have a ground wire issue that is starting to annoy me. There is a ground that goes from the battery to the chassis, when i bought the car the ground was held by the battery terminal but one day it came loose and my check engine light came on. I cut off the end of the wire and stripped it a bit then wrapped it around the screw on the terminal and my check engine light turned off but the next day it came back on. Today i found out that the terminal was loose so i tightened it and it was off but came back on, how do i fix this?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Buy a new ground cable and make sure it's attached to a bare metal surface. You can get a generic cable at any auto parts store or even Wal-Mart, or you can get a cut-to-size factory replacement from http://www.tasauto.com.

You may need to sand the grounding point on the radiator support (near the headlight), on the engine block (can be accessed from under the car), and the battery terminal itself may need cleaning.

The check engine light should turn off after this, if it comes back, some auto parts stores like Advance Auto or AutoZone will scan or lend a scanner to get the code read. It will be in a PXXXX format, my guess is it's something to do with the charging system. Post up the code and we can help you further.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yea i have some coke i could let it get to room temperature then clean the terminals with that the code i got from advanced auto parts was P140 TCC malfunction. I looked this up and it says Torque Converter Circuit Malfunction. The bolt that holds the other end of the wire to the chassis is really dirty i am thinking of taking it off and cleaning it. Is there a specific way on connecting this ground wire to the terminal? There is a little wire that splits from the terminal cable but it is too small to fit the ground wire into the crimp.

Last edited by doat; 08-02-2009 at 09:13 PM.