General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change bulb in Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Bernman
Unregistered
Default How to change bulb in Instrument Cluster

Hey guys! Got a quick question for ya. I need to change a blown bulb in my instrument cluster. The engine light to be precise.I have a 97 Accord EX V-6 Auto. The reason I know it blown is because my tach was floating and had a loss of power. Took it to the dealership and the scanner said it was my coil. They replaced it and it corrected the problem and they reset it but the light never came on and they said the bulb is blown. I was wondering how bad of a job would it be? Thanks for any help.
Bernie

Old 03-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: How to change bulb in Instrument Cluster

remove 2 scews holding black plastic peicce on (uder top of dash)
take ***** off of climate control
remove any switches from has trim peice with a tape covered flat blade screwdriver and unplug them

gently try trim peice out
unscrew cluster and rotate down
unplug wire harness (3 of them I think)
find bulb and replace it

reverse to install

#7 is what I am referring to

Old 03-12-2007, 07:12 PM

check our DIY section for more instructions if that stuff isn't clear....

Old 03-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Bernman
Unregistered

Wow.. that's great information and I really appriciate your time. I am going to attempt it this weekend and I will let you know how I make out. Again thanks
Bernie

Old 03-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Bernman
Unregistered

Just taking a stab at it now and running into some trouble. There was 2 screws that were not mentioned when trying to remove the cluster trim. One is behind the defrost switch (make sure you use a magnetic head phillips) and one behind thedimmer switch. Almost broke the trim finding that out. Now I am having trouble removing the trim on the right hand side. I removed the climate control ***** and have the top part of the trim out but the bottom of the trim where the ***** were will not come out. It's like the control switches them selves are still attached somehow. Any ideas as I have the car tore apart in the driveway lol. Thanks

Old 03-17-2007, 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Bernman

Now I am having trouble removing the trim on the right hand side. I removed the climate control ***** and have the top part of the trim out but the bottom of the trim where the ***** were will not come out. It's like the control switches them selves are still attached somehow. Any ideas as I have the car tore apart in the driveway lol. Thanks
There are 2 screws in the bottom of it. You have to remove the radio to get to them.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Bernman
Unregistered

Damn.. that means I have to remove the whole console don't I?A little more envolved then I expected. Ok I will go back at it tomorrow. Thanks for the quick reply.
Bernie

Old 03-17-2007, 07:58 PM

It's not that bad. 5 minutes, 7-9 screws adn a couple clips.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Bernman
Unregistered

Success!!!!!!!! It wasn't too bad.... the only hard part is that I didn't bother taking the stereo out as the car has the factory cell phone option and it sits right above the stereo and is attached so I grabbed my smallest phillips stubby and patiently got my big hands in there and got the remaining screw. There was 2 but I broke the mount for the other before posting that I was running into trouble yesterday. Got it done in the end and after it was all done I went and tested the car on some bumps and there was no rattles so I am happy with that. Thanks everyone
B-man

Old 03-18-2007, 03:52 PM

Yay!!!